1990 Fiesta Bowl
The 1990 Sunkist Fiesta Bowl was the 19th edition of the Fiesta Bowl, played on January 1, in Tempe, Arizona. The game featured the sixth-ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers of the Big Eight Conference and the independent fifth-ranked Florida State Seminoles.
|1990 Sunkist Fiesta Bowl|
|Date||January 1, 1990|
|Stadium||Sun Devil Stadium|
|MVP||Peter Tom Willis (QB, FSU)|
Odell Haggins (NG, FSU)
|Favorite||Florida State by 3½ points |
|Referee||Jimmy Harper (SEC)|
|United States TV coverage|
|Announcers||Charlie Jones, Merlin Olsen|
Less than four minutes into the game, Nebraska quarterback Gerry Gdowski threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to Morgan Gregory for the only score of the first quarter. Florida State got on the scoreboard with a 14-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Peter Tom Willis to wide receiver Terry Anthony, tying the game at seven early in the second quarter. Chris Drennan responded with a 39-yard field goal to put Nebraska ahead 10–7 with over twelve minutes left in the half.
Willis connected with wide receiver Reggie Johnson for a 5-yard touchdown pass and a 14–10 Seminole lead. He later connected with Dexter Carter for a 10-yard touchdown pass with 24 seconds left in the half, as the Seminoles took a 21–10 lead into the locker room.
With six minutes left in the third quarter, Paul Moore scored for Florida State on a 1-yard touchdown run, but the extra point attempt was blocked and the score was 27–10. With 3:37 left in the quarter, Willis threw his fourth touchdown pass of the game, an 8-yard strike to Johnson, widening the gap to 34–10. With two seconds left in the quarter, Willis threw a 24-yard touchdown pass to Terry Anthony for a 41–10 lead. In the second and third quarters, Florida State outscored Nebraska 41–3. Nebraska scored the only points of the fourth quarter on a touchdown run by quarterback Mickey Joseph with 1:16 remaining. It was the Huskers' worst defeat in a bowl game in 23 years.
Florida State climbed to third in the final AP poll, while Nebraska dropped to eleventh.
- Nebraska – Morgan Gregory 9 pass from Gerry Gdowski (Gregg Barrios kick), 11:19
- Florida State – Terry Anthony 14 pass from Peter Tom Willis (Richie Andrews kick), 13:42
- Nebraska – Field goal, Chris Drennan 39, 12:15
- Florida State – Reggie Johnson 5 pass from Willis (Andrews kick), 6:55
- Florida State – Dexter Carter 10 pass from Willis (Andrews kick), 0:24
- Florida State – Paul Moore 1 run (kick blocked), 5:59
- Florida State – Johnson 8 pass from Willis (Andrews kick), 3:37
- Florida State – Anthony 24 pass from Willis (Andrews kick), 0:02
- Nebraska – Mickey Joseph 2 run (Drennan kick), 1:16
Statistics Nebraska Florida
First Downs 18 18 Rushes–yards 46–115 24–72 Passing yards 207 422 Passes 15–26–2 25–41–0 Total yards 322 494 Punts–average 3–34 3–36 Fumbles–lost 5–3 0–0 Turnovers by 5 0 Penalties-yards 6–48 13–135 Time of possession 32:30 27:30
- "The latest line". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. January 1, 1990. p. 37.
- "Betting line". Reading Eagle. (Pennsylvania). January 1, 1990. p. 14.
- Long, Gary (January 2, 1990). "No. 5 Seminoles roll over Nebraska". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Knight-Ridder. p. B3.
- Berry, Walter (January 2, 1990). "Willis, Seminoles have fiesta in pounding Cornhuskers". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. p. 19.
- "Willis breaks Fiesta records". Toledo Blade. (Ohio). Associated Press. January 2, 1990. p. 22.
- Harig, Bob (January 2, 1990). "FSU plays like No. 1 team, shucks Cornhuskers 41-17". St. Petersburg Times. (Florida). p. 1C.
- "Seminoles say they're No. 1". Reading Eagle. (Pennsylvania). news services. January 2, 1990. p. 21.
- "Fiesta time for FSU". The Bulletin. (Bend, Oregon). Associated Press. January 2, 1990. p. D3.
- "Fiesta Bowl". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). (box score). January 2, 1990. p. B4.