1989 Milwaukee Brewers season
|1989 Milwaukee Brewers|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Harry Dalton|
(Jim Paschke, Pete Vuckovich)
|Local radio||WTMJ (AM) |
(Bob Uecker, Pat Hughes)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- October 26, 1988: Steve Stanicek was released by the Brewers.
- December 20, 1988: Jim Gantner was signed as a free agent by the Brewers.
- March 30, 1989: Terry Francona was signed as a free agent by the Brewers.
- March 30, 1989: Dave Engel was signed as a Free Agent with the Milwaukee Brewers.
- During the season, Robin Yount had a 19-game hitting streak. Yount finished the season leading the Brewers in RBIs for the third straight season.
- June 5, 1989: Jason Giambi was drafted by the Brewers in the 43rd round of the 1989 Major League Baseball draft, but did not sign.
- August 2, 1989: Dave Engel was released by the Milwaukee Brewers.
- August 23, 1989: The Milwaukee Brewers traded a player to be named later to the Atlanta Braves for Ed Romero. The Brewers completed the deal by sending Jay Aldrich to the Braves on September 1.
|Toronto Blue Jays||89||73||0.549||—||46–35||43–38|
|Boston Red Sox||83||79||0.512||6||46–35||37–44|
|New York Yankees||74||87||0.460||14½||41–40||33–47|
Record vs. opponentsEdit
1989 American League Records
Sources:              
First SkyDome GameEdit
The Brewers played in the first baseball game at SkyDome. The game was played on June 5 against the Toronto Blue Jays, and the Brewers won by a score of 5-3. Don August was the winning pitcher as he won his 5th game of the season, while Toronto's Jimmy Key lost his 4th game of the season. The attendance at SkyDome was 48,378.
June 5, SkyDome, Toronto, Canada
|W: Don August (5-6) L: Jimmy Key (6-4) SV: Dan Plesac (13)|
|Home Runs: Braggs (10), McGriff (13), Bell (8) Attendance: 48,378 Time: 2:43|
|= Indicates team leader|
Starters by positionEdit
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|C||B. J. Surhoff||126||436||108||.248||5||55|
Awards and honorsEdit
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: AZL Brewers
- "1989 MLB Team Statistics". Baseball Reference. Retrieved July 20, 2018.
- Steve Stanicek at Baseball-Reference
- Jim Gantner at Baseball-Reference
- Terry Francona at Baseball-Reference
- Jason Giambi at Baseball-Reference
- Ed Romero at Baseball-Reference
- Box Score of Game played on Monday, June 5, 1989 at Skydome