The 1988 strike was an historical strike at the Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional. Three workers died in an attempt by the police and the army to retake control of the facilities. Two of them were shot and taken by their colleagues to a hospital. One was found with heavy bruises in the head.
A monument designed by Oscar Niemeyer was erected in honour of the victims. It was partially destroyed by a bomb in the next day, and only in 1999 it was discovered that this was done by the army. This event is considered one of the landmarks of the period of "Brazilian late dictatorship."
- "Choque com Exército deixa 3 Grevistas Mortos Na CSN" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- "Exército invade a CSN, ocupada por grevistas, e mata três operários" (in Portuguese). Archived from the original on 2010-11-12. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- "O Massacre de Volta Redonda - Por Cláudia Santiago" (in Portuguese). Archived from the original on 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- "Massacre de Volta Redonda completa 26 anos" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- "Monumento '9 de novembro' em homenagem aos três operários da CSN, mortos durante a Greve de 1988, foi uma obra de criação de Oscar Niemeyer" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2015-06-13.
- MPF/RJ encaminha pedido de anistia em favor de familiares de operários mortos durante a greve de 88 na CSN