1980 Daytona 500
The 22nd annual Daytona 500 was held February 17, 1980, at Daytona International Speedway. Buddy Baker started the decade by winning the fastest Daytona 500 in history, at 177.602 mph (285.823 km/h), it was Baker's only 500 win and did so in his 18th start, the longest until Dale Earnhardt in 1998. The 1980 Daytona Speedweeks was also marred by the death of Ricky Knotts, who was killed during the Gatorade Twin 125 qualifying races. There were 42 cars in the field, after planning to only run 40 cars.
|Race 2 of 31 in the 1980 NASCAR Winston Cup Series|
Track map of Daytona International Speedway showing mainly the speedway.
|Date||February 17, 1980|
Daytona International Speedway|
Daytona Beach, Florida, U.S.
Permanent racing facility|
2.5 mi (4.023 km)
|Distance||200 laps, 500 mi (804.672 km)|
|Weather||Temperatures reaching up to 77 °F (25 °C); wind speeds up to 19.4 miles per hour (31.2 km/h)|
|Average speed||177.602 miles per hour (285.823 km/h)|
|Qualifying race winners|
|Duel 1 Winner||Neil Bonnett||Wood Brothers Racing|
|Duel 2 Winner||Donnie Allison||Hoss Ellington|
|Most laps led|
|Driver||Buddy Baker||Ranier-Lundy Racing|
|No. 28||Buddy Baker||Ranier-Lundy Racing|
|Television in the United States|
Top ten finishersEdit
|3||3||21||Neil Bonnett||Mercury||199||$51,100||8||170||Engine failure|
- "1980 Daytona 500". Racing-Reference.info.
- Weather information for the 1980 Daytona 500 at Old Farmers Almanac
- Aumann, Mark (January 26, 2005). "Daytona Countdown: '80". NASCAR.com. Turner Sports. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "Driver Young dies in crash at Daytona". Chicago Sun-Times. Chicago. February 14, 1987. p. 94. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- Holliman, Ray. Desire for success kills Ricky Knotts, St. Petersburg Times, February 15, 1980, Retrieved 2010-06-25
1980 Winston Western 500
| NASCAR Winston Cup Series Season
1980 Richmond 400
|This article related to sports in Florida is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This NASCAR-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|