The 1977 Mutual Benefit Life Open, also known as the South Orange Open, was a men's tennis tournament played on outdoor clay courts at the Orange Lawn Tennis Club in South Orange, New Jersey in the United States. It was classified as a Two Star category tournament and was part of the 1977 Grand Prix circuit. It was the eight edition of the tournament on the Grand Prix circuit and was held from July 31 through August 8, 1977. First-seeded Guillermo Vilas won the singles title.
|1977 Mutual Benefit Life Open|
|Date||July 31 – August 8|
|Category||Grand Prix (Two Star)|
|Surface||Clay / Outdoor|
|Location||South Orange, New Jersey, US|
|Venue||Orange Lawn Tennis Club|
|Colin Dibley / Wojciech Fibak|
- It was Vilas' 8th singles title of the year and the 27th of his career.
- "South Orange – Singles draw". Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).
- "South Orange – Doubles draw". Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).
- John Barrett, ed. (1978). World of Tennis 1978 : a BP yearbook. London: Macdonald and Janes. p. 123. ISBN 9780354090391.
- "Vilas Beats Tanner For Tennis Crown". Herald-Journal. August 9, 1977. p. A7.