1966 Oakland Raiders season
The 1966 Oakland Raiders season was their seventh season in Oakland and in the American Football League. Led by first-year head coach John Rauch, the Raiders played their home games in the new Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum, and finished at 8–5–1, second place in the Western division.
|1966 Oakland Raiders season|
|Owner||F. Wayne Valley|
|Head coach||John Rauch|
|Home field||Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum|
|Division place||2nd AFL Western|
|Playoff finish||Did not qualify|
In April 1966, AFL commissioner Joe Foss resigned and was succeeded by Al Davis, the head coach and general manager of the Raiders. Offensive backs coach Rauch was promoted to head coach and Scotty Stirling became the general manager. After the AFL–NFL merger agreement in June was made without his involvement, Davis resigned in late July; he returned to the team, but did not coach again.
|1||September 2||at Miami Dolphins||W 23–14||1–0|
|2||September 10||at Houston Oilers||L 0–31||1–1|
|3||September 18||Kansas City Chiefs||L 10–32||1–2|
|4||September 25||San Diego Chargers||L 20–29||1–3|
|6||October 9||Miami Dolphins||W 21–10||2–3|
|7||October 16||at Kansas City Chiefs||W 34–13||3–3|
|8||October 23||at New York Jets||W 24–21||4–3|
|9||October 30||at Boston Patriots||L 21–24||4–4|
|10||November 6||Houston Oilers||W 38–23||5–4|
|11||November 13||at San Diego Chargers||W 41–19||6–4|
|12||November 20||at Denver Broncos||W 17–3||7–4|
|13||November 24||Buffalo Bills||L 10–31||7–5|
|14||December 3||New York Jets||T 28–28||7–5–1|
|15||December 11||Denver Broncos||W 28–10||8–5–1|
|AFL Western Division|
|Kansas City Chiefs||11||2||1||.846||5–1||448||276||W3|
|San Diego Chargers||7||6||1||.538||2–4||335||284||L1|
Note: Tie games were not officially counted in the standings until 1972.
- Stevenson, Jack (September 19, 1966). "Chiefs turn blocked punt into rout of Oakland". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. p. 3B.
- "Chiefs rout Oakland in 32-10 win". Lodi News-Sentinel. (California). UPI. September 19, 1966. p. 11.
- "American Football League standings". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). December 19, 1966. p. 2C.
- "Appoint Davis as AFL czar". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. p. 1, part 2.
- "Woodard in, Davis out in AFL". Milwaukee Sentinel. UPI. July 26, 1966. p. 2, part 2.
|This article relating to an American football season is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to sports in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|