1959 Rose Bowl
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The 1959 Rose Bowl was a college football bowl game played on January 1, 1959. It was the 45th Rose Bowl Game. The heavily-favored Iowa Hawkeyes defeated the California Golden Bears, 38–12. Bob Jeter, Iowa's star halfback, was named the Rose Bowl Player Of The Game.
|1959 Rose Bowl|
|45th Rose Bowl Game|
|Date||January 1, 1959|
|MVP||Bob Jeter (Iowa HB)|
|Favorite||Iowa by 18½ points|
|Halftime show||Hawkeye Marching Band, University of California Marching Band|
|United States TV coverage|
|Announcers||Mel Allen and Chick Hearn|
Iowa was behind LSU in the two major polls taken prior to the bowl games that year, but was named national champion outright in the only poll (Football Writers) taken after the bowl games.
Cal Golden BearsEdit
Randy Duncan helped Iowa take a 14–0 lead with a touchdown run in the first quarter and a touchdown pass to Jeff Langston in the second quarter. The Hawkeye backfield carried Iowa the rest of the way, as Willie Fleming ran for two touchdowns and Bob Jeter, the Rose Bowl Most Valuable Player, and Don Horn each ran for one touchdown. Iowa attempted a Rose Bowl record three two-point conversions and failed on all three, while Bob Prescott made one of two extra points. End Jack Hart scored all of California's twelve points, running for a touchdown in the third quarter and catching a touchdown in the fourth quarter, both of which were followed by failed two-point conversion attempts. Iowa broke four Rose Bowl records: longest run (Jeter 81), team rushing yards (429), team total yards (516) and individual rushing yards (Jeter 194); and tied another Rose Bowl record set by Georgia in 1943: first downs (24). The attendance was 98,297.
Four Rose Bowl game records were set: Jeter's 81-yard run, his 194 yards of rushing offense, the 429 yards gained on the ground and the 516 yards of total offense.
- Iowa - Randy Duncan 2 run (Prescott kick) (7–0, Iowa)
- Iowa - Jeff Langston 7 pass from Duncan (Prescott kick) (14–0, Iowa)
- Iowa - Horn 4 run (kick failed) (20–0, Iowa)
- California - Hart 1 run (pass failed) (20–6, Iowa)
- Iowa - Willie Fleming 37 run (pass failed) (26–6, Iowa)
- Iowa - Bob Jeter 81 run* (pass failed) (32–6, Iowa)
- Iowa - Fleming 7 run (pass failed) (38–6, Iowa)
- California - Hart 17 pass from Joe Kapp (run failed) (38–12, Iowa)
- Sargis, Joe (January 1, 1959). "Iowa picked by 18 in Rose Bowl". Reading Eagle. (Pennsylvania). UPI. p. 19.
- "Remembering 1959: Cal runs to the Rose Bowl". San Jose Mercury News. January 3, 2009. Retrieved September 4, 2017.
- Rose Bowl Game Timeline, Tournament of Roses Archived February 13, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- "Top 10 Rose Bowl performances". Los Angeles Daily News. December 31, 2013. Retrieved September 4, 2017.