1958 NBA draft
The 1958 NBA draft was the 12th annual draft of the National Basketball Association (NBA). The draft was held on April 22, 1958, before the 1958–59 season. In this draft, eight NBA teams took turns selecting amateur U.S. college basketball players. In each round, the teams select in reverse order of their win–loss record in the previous season. The draft consisted of 17 rounds comprising 88 players selected.
|1958 NBA draft|
|Date(s)||April 22, 1958|
|Location||New York City, New York|
|88 total selections in 17 rounds|
|Territorial pick(s)||Guy Rodgers, Philadelphia Warriors|
|First selection||Elgin Baylor, Minneapolis Lakers|
Draft selections and draftee career notesEdit
Elgin Baylor from Seattle University was selected first overall by the Minneapolis Lakers. Baylor went on to win the Rookie of the Year Award in his first season. Guy Rodgers from Temple University was selected before the draft as Philadelphia Warriors' territorial pick. Three players from this draft, Elgin Baylor, Guy Rodgers and Hal Greer, have been inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame. Frank Howard from Ohio State University was selected in the third round by the Philadelphia Warriors, but he opted for a professional baseball career and eventually playing 16 successful seasons in the Major League Baseball (MLB).
|^||Denotes player who has been inducted to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame|
|+||Denotes player who has been selected for at least one All-Star Game|
|#||Denotes player who has never appeared in an NBA regular season or playoff game|
|3||16||Boo Ellis||F||United States||Minneapolis Lakers||Niagara|
|3||17||Bucky Bockhorn||G||United States||Cincinnati Royals||Dayton|
|3||22||Wayne Embry+||F/C||United States||St. Louis Hawks||Miami (OH)|
|4||27||Johnny Cox||G||United States||New York Knicks||Kentucky|
|4||29||Tommy Kearns||G||United States||Syracuse Nationals||North Carolina|
|5||36||Don Ohl+||G||United States||Philadelphia Warriors||Illinois|
|6||42||Shellie McMillon||F||United States||Detroit Pistons||Bradley|
|7||49||Wayne Stevens||F||United States||Cincinnati Royals||Cincinnati|
|9||64||Larry Staverman||F||United States||Cincinnati Royals||Villa Madonna|
|10||70||Jack Parr||C||United States||Cincinnati Royals||Kansas State|
|12||81||Joe Buckhalter||F||United States||St. Louis Hawks||Tennessee State|
|15||85||Adrian Smith+||G||United States||Cincinnati Royals||Kentucky|
- "Complete First Round Results 1957–59". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on 3 December 2009. Retrieved December 28, 2009.
- "1958 NBA Draft". basketball-reference.com. Retrieved December 28, 2009.
- "1957–1961 NBA Drafts". The Association for Professional Basketball Research. Retrieved December 28, 2009.
- "1958 NBA Draft". The Draft Review. Retrieved December 28, 2009.
- "Rookie of the Year". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on March 29, 2010. Retrieved October 28, 2009.
- "Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Inductees". basketball-reference.com. Retrieved October 28, 2009.
- Kim, Randy (June 19, 2003). "Draft Oddities". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on July 1, 2010. Retrieved December 28, 2009.
- "Frank Howard Bio". baseball-reference.com. Archived from the original on 4 January 2010. Retrieved December 28, 2009.
- "Dick McGuire Bio". basketball-reference.com. Retrieved December 28, 2009.
- "All-Time Transactions". NBA.com/Pistons. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on 30 December 2009. Retrieved December 28, 2009.