1948 California Golden Bears football team
The 1948 California Golden Bears football team was an American football team that represented the University of California, Berkeley in the Pacific Coast Conference (PCC) during the 1948 college football season. In their second year under head coach Pappy Waldorf, the team compiled a 10–1 record (6–0 against PCC opponents), finished in a tie for the PCC championship, lost to Northwestern in the 1949 Rose Bowl, and outscored its opponents by a combined total of 291 to 100.
|1948 California Golden Bears football|
|Conference||Pacific Coast Conference|
|1948 record||10–1 (6–0 PCC)|
|Head coach||Pappy Waldorf (2nd season)|
|1948 PCC football standings|
|No. 4 California ^ +||6||–||0||–||0||10||–||1||–||0|
|No. 9 Oregon +||7||–||0||–||0||9||–||2||–||0|
Rankings from AP Poll
A controversial moment in the Rose Bowl game is now known as the "phantom touchdown," when Northwestern's player was given a touchdown even though he fumbled the ball as while he was crossing the line, California disputed the touchdown arguing that the ball was fumbled prior to its crossing the line. California's claim is supported by a photograph taken at that moment.
|September 18||Santa Clara*||W 41–19||–|
|September 25||at Navy*||W 21–7||–|
|October 2||Saint Mary's*||W 20–0||54,000|
|October 9||Wisconsin*||No. 9||W 40–14||–|
|October 16||Oregon State||No. 6||W 42–0||55,000|
|October 23||at Washington||No. 4||W 21–0||38,000|
|October 30||at USC||No. 4||W 13–7||90,890|
|November 6||UCLA||No. 5||W 28–13||65,000|
|November 13||Washington State||No. 4||W 44–14||40,000|
|November 20||Stanford||No. 4||W 7–6||–|
|January 1, 1949||vs. No. 7 Northwestern*||No. 5||L 14–20||93,000|
- "1948 California Golden Bears Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- "California 2015 Football Information Guide" (PDF). CalBears.com. Cal Golden Bears Athletics. p. 163. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 26, 2016. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- CalBear81 (2011-06-29). "Cal's Greatest Football Coaches: #2 Pappy Waldorf". California Golden Blogs. Archived from the original on 2016-01-18. Retrieved 2016-06-23..
- Prescott Sullivan (October 3, 1948). "Cal Quells Gaels, 20-0: Bears' Power Tells After Close 1st Half". San Francisco Examiner. pp. 23–24 – via Newspapers.com.
- Ray Haywood (October 3, 1948). "Bears Wear Down Game Gaels, 20-0". Oakland Tribune. pp. 1B, 2B – via Newspapers.com.
- "Year-By-Year Results". 2017 Oregon State Football Media Guide Football (PDF). Oregon State Athletics. p. 165.
- 2017 Washington Football Information (PDF). University of Washington Athletics. p. 191.
- USC Football 2017 Media Guide (PDF). University of Southern California Athletics. p. 70.
- '16 Cougar Football (PDF). Washington State University Athletics. p. 81.
- 2015 Football Information Guide (PDF). Cal Athletics. 2015. p. 163. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-10-26.
|This College football 1940s season article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sports team in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|