1942 San Diego State Aztecs football team
|1942 San Diego State Aztecs football|
|Conference||California Collegiate Athletic Association|
|1942 record||0–6–1 (0–1–0 CCAA)|
|Head coach||John Eubank (1st season)|
|Home stadium||Aztec Bowl|
|1942 California Collegiate Athletic Association football standings|
|Fresno State $||2||–||0||–||0||9||–||1||–||0|
|San Jose State||1||–||1||–||0||7||–||2||–||0|
|San Diego State||0||–||2||–||0||0||–||6||–||1|
For this shortened season (due to World War II), San Diego State competed in the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA). San Diego State did not field a team in 1943–1944. The 1942 team was led by head coach John Eubank in his first and only season with the Aztecs. They played home games at Aztec Bowl in San Diego, California. The Aztecs finished the season with zero wins, six losses and one tie (0–6–1, 0–1–0 CCAA). Overall, the team was dominated by its opponents, giving up 211 points while scoring only 50 for the season.
|October 3||Pomona[note 2]*||Aztec Bowl • San Diego||T 6–6||2,500|
|October 11||Fresno State[note 3]||Aztec Bowl • San Diego (Rivalry)||L 0–66||6,500|
|October 17||Redlands*||Aztec Bowl • San Diego||L 12–14|||
|October 25||March Field[note 4]||Aztec Bowl • San Diego||L 6–39|||
|October 31||at Cal Poly[note 5]*||Mustang Stadium • San Luis Obispo, California||L 13–32||1,500|
|November 8||at San Jose State[note 6]||Spartan Stadium • San Jose, California||L 0–26||3,000|
|November 14||Whittier*||Aztec Bowl • San Diego||L 13–28|||
|*Non-conference game. Homecoming.|
Team players in the NFLEdit
- San Diego State University was known as San Diego State College from 1935 to 1971.
- What is now known as the Pomona-Pitzer football team played using just the Pomona College name from 1893 to 1949. Pitzer College did not exist until 1963.
- California State University, Fresno (Fresno State) was known as Fresno State Normal School from 1911 to 1948
- The Fourth Air Force is one of the four original pre-World War II numbered US Air Forces. It was activated in 1940 and continues to be headquartered at March Air Reserve Base to this day. March air base is located in Riverside County, California and was known as March Field from 1918 to 1995.
- California Polytechnic State University was known as California Polytechnic School from 1901 to 1946.
- San Jose State University was known as San Jose State College from 1935 to 1971.
- Bob Lantz (October 4, 1942). "Aztecs, 'Hens Wage 6-6 Tie". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 1-E.
- Bob Lantz (October 12, 1942). "Fresno State Tramples Aztec Gridders, 66 To 0". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 3-B.
- "Aztec Rally Falls Short As Redlands Wins, 14-12". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. October 18, 1942. p. 1-E.
- Bob Lantz (October 26, 1942). "March Field Fliers Swamp Aztecs". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 3-B.
- "Staters Blow 32-13 Decision To Cal Poly". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. November 1, 1942. p. 1-E.
- Bob Lantz (November 9, 1942). "San Jose Stages 2nd Half Spree". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 3-B.
- "Whittier Routs Aztecs In Local Team's Finale". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. November 15, 1942. p. 1-E.
- "San Diego State Yearly Results". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "San Diego State 2016 Football Media Guide". Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- "1943 NFL Draft". Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- "San Diego St. Players/Alumni". Retrieved December 8, 2016.