1940 San Diego State Aztecs football team
|1940 San Diego State Aztecs football|
|Conference||California Collegiate Athletic Association|
|1940 record||5–3–1 (1–1–1 CCAA)|
|Head coach||Leo Calland (6th season)|
|Home stadium||Aztec Bowl|
|1940 California Collegiate Athletic Association football standings|
|San Jose State $||3||–||0||–||0||11||–||1||–||0|
|San Diego State||1||–||1||–||1||5||–||3||–||1|
|Santa Barbara State||0||–||3||–||0||5||–||5||–||0|
Rankings from AP Poll
San Diego State competed in the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA). The 1940 team was led by head coach Leo B. Calland in his sixth season with the Aztecs. They played home games at two sites, Aztec Bowl and Balboa Stadium in San Diego, California. The Aztecs finished the season with five wins, three losses and one tie (5–3–1, 1–1–1 CCAA). Overall, the team outscored its opponents 128–87 for the season.
|September 27||Pomona[note 2]*||W 33–3||6,000|
|October 4||Occidental*||W 20–0||6,000|
|October 11||at San Jose State[note 3]||L 0–10||7,000|
|October 19||Redlands*||W 20–14||4,000|
|October 25||Fresno State[note 4]||T 0–0||3,000|
|November 8||at San Diego Marines (MCRD)[note 5]*||L 6–20||12,000|
|November 16||at Whittier*||W 33–0|||
|November 23||at Santa Barbara State[note 6]||W 9–7||4,000|
|December 7||at Hawaii*||L 7–33||22,000|
Team players in the NFLEdit
- San Diego State University was known as San Diego State College from 1935 to 1971.
- What is now known as the Pomona-Pitzer football team played using just the Pomona College name from 1893 to 1949. Pitzer College did not exist until 1963.
- San Jose State University was known as San Jose State College from 1935 to 1971.
- California State University, Fresno (Fresno State) was known as Fresno State Normal School from 1911 to 1948.
- The Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD) in San Diego fielded a team that played against colleges and other military teams from 1922 to 1964.
- University of California, Santa Barbara was known as Santa Barbara State College from 1921 to 1943.
- Charles Byrne (September 28, 1940). "Aztecs Surprise, Turn In 33 to 3 Win Over Pomona". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 3-B.
- Charles Byrne (October 5, 1940). "Aztecs Overpower Occidental, 20 to 0". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 3-B.
- Charles Byrne (October 12, 1940). "San Jose Turns in 10-0 Victory Over San Diego". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 3-B.
- Charles Byrne (October 20, 1940). "Gilliland Leads Aztecs to 20-14 Victory Over Redlands". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 1-E.
- Charles Byrne (October 26, 1940). "San Diego State Holds Favored Fresno to Scoreless Tie". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 3-B.
- "Military Glory: Service Teams, in Their Heyday, Won Championships, Thrilled the Fans". Retrieved January 5, 2017.
- Ken Bojens (November 9, 1940). "Devil Dogs Turn in 20-6 Victory Over San Diego State". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 3-B.
- "San Diego Aztecs Trounce Whittier Gridmen, 33 to 0". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. November 17, 1940. p. 1-E.
- Charles Byrne (November 24, 1940). "Aztecs Win, 9 to 7, on Sims' Field Goal". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. p. 1-E.
- "Rainbows Score 33-7 Triumph Over State '11'". The San Diego Union. San Diego, California. December 8, 1940. p. 1-E.
- "San Diego State Yearly Results". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "San Diego State 2016 Football Media Guide". Archived from the original on 2016-10-18. Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- "1941 NFL Draft". Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- "San Diego St. Players/Alumni". Retrieved December 8, 2016.