1928 California Golden Bears football team
The 1928 California Golden Bears football team was an American football team that represented the University of California, Berkeley in the Pacific Coast Conference (PCC) during the 1928 college football season. In their third year under head coach Nibs Price, the team compiled a 6–2–2 record (3–0–2 against PCC opponents), finished in second place in the PCC, lost to Georgia Tech in the 1929 Rose Bowl, and outscored its opponents by a combined total of 141 to 36.
|1928 California Golden Bears football|
|Conference||Pacific Coast Conference|
|1928 record||6–2–2 (3–0–2 PCC)|
|Head coach||Nibs Price (3rd season)|
|1928 PCC football standings|
The Rose Bowl game has become one of the most famous moments in Rose Bowl history. In the second quarter, California's defense forced a Georgia Tech fumble on their own 30-yard line, and the loose ball was scooped up by California center Roy Riegels. He began to run towards the Georgia Tech end zone for a score, but then, in trying to get around the Tech players, he inexplicably turned around and headed in the other direction. Riegels advanced all the way to the Golden Bears' one-yard line before teammate Benny Lom was able to stop him, whereupon he was immediately tackled by what seemed like the entire Georgia Tech team. California elected to punt on the next play; the punt was blocked for asafety, giving the Yellow Jackets a 2–0 lead and what turned out to be the decisive points.
|September 29||Santa Clara*||W 22–0||–|
|October 6||Saint Mary's*||W 7–0||–|
|October 13||Washington State||W 13–3||30,000|
|October 20||USC||T 0–0||74,245|
|October 27||Olympic Club*||L 0–12||–|
|November 3||Oregon||W 13–0||–|
|November 10||at Washington||W 6–0||20,000|
|November 17||Nevada*||W 60–0||–|
|November 24||Stanford||T 13–13||–|
|January 1, 1929||vs. Georgia Tech*||L 7–8||66,604|
- "1928 California Golden Bears Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- "California 2015 Football Information Guide" (PDF). CalBears.com. Cal Golden Bears Athletics. p. 162. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 26, 2016. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- GLICK, SHAV (1991-08-09). "Wrong-Way Run Finally Turns Out Right : College football: Despite his mistake that cost Cal in 1929, Roy Riegels is inducted into Rose Bowl Hall of Fame". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "Wrong Way Reigels". Georgia Tech Alumni Magazine. Georgia Tech Alumni Association. Spring 1998. Archived from the original on October 26, 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- '16 Cougar Football (PDF). Washington State University Athletics. p. 81.
- USC Football 2017 Media Guide (PDF). University of Southern California Athletics. p. 70.
- 2017 Washington Football Information (PDF). University of Washington Athletics. p. 189.
- 2015 Football Information Guide (PDF). Cal Athletics. 2015. p. 162. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-10-26.
|This article about a sports team in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|