18th arrondissement of Paris(Redirected from 18eme arrondissement, Paris)
The 18th arrondissement (XVIIIe arrondissement), located on the Rive Droite (Right Bank), is one of the 20 arrondissements of Paris, France. It is mostly known for hosting the district of Montmartre which contains a hill known for its artistic history, the house of music diva Dalida, the Moulin Rouge cabaret, other historic features, and the prominent Sacré Cœur basilica which sits atop the hill.
|18th arrondissement of Paris|
|French municipal arrondissement|
View over Montmartre district in the 18th arrondissement.
Paris and its closest suburbs
|• Mayor||Daniel Vaillant|
|• Total||6.01 km2 (2.32 sq mi)|
|Population (8 March 1999 census)[p]|
|• Estimate (2005)||188,700|
|• Density||31,000/km2 (80,000/sq mi)|
|^[p] Population sans doubles comptes: single count of residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel).|
The 18th arrondissement also contains the African and North African district of Goutte d'Or which is famous for its market, the marché Barbès, where one can find various products from the African continent.
The land area of this arrondissement is exactly 6.005 km2 (2.319 sq. miles, or 1,484 acres).
The population of Paris's 18th arrondissement peaked in 1931 with 288,810 inhabitants. Today, the arrondissement remains very dense in population and business activity with 184,586 inhabitants and 200,631 jobs as of the most recent census (2009).
(of French censuses)
(inh. per km2)
|1931 (peak of population)||288,810||48,095|
Places of interestEdit
- Basilique du Sacré-Cœur, Paris
- Basilica of Sainte-Jeanne-d'Arc (Paris)
- Église Saint-Jean-de-Montmartre
- Église Saint-Bernard de la Chapelle
- Moulin Rouge
- Musée d'Art Naïf - Max Fourny
Districts within the 18th arrondissementEdit
- Henley, John. "French elections: 'Here, immigration really and honestly isn't an issue'." The Guardian. Sunday 6 May 2012. Retrieved on 22 October 2012.
- "Paroisses." Serbian Orthodox Eparchy of Western Europe. Retrieved on 27 February 2011. "EGLISE ORTHODOXE SERBE / BP177 - 75864 Paris - 23 rue du Simplon - 75018 Paris"
- "About us." Dailymotion. Retrieved on 5 January 2010. "Registered office: 49/51 rue Ganneron, 75018 Paris."
- "Mentions légales Archived 2011-04-07 at the Wayback Machine.." Dargaud. Retrieved on 1 May 2011. "15/27 rue Moussorgski 75018 Paris"