This article presents a list of the historical events and publications of Australian literature during 1898.
- Louis Becke – The Mutineer: A Romance of Pitcairn Island, with Walter James Jeffrey
- Guy Boothby
- Across the World for a Wife
- Pharos the Egyptian
- Ada Cambridge – Materfamilias
- Mary Gaunt – Deadman's: An Australian Story
- Gertrude Hart – Clouds That Pass
- Louise Mack – Girls Together
- Rosa Praed – The Scourge-Stick
- Douglas Sladen – Trincolox
- Ethel Turner – The Camp at Wandinong
- Louis Becke – Rodman the Boatsteerer and Other Stories
- Rolf Boldrewood – A Romance of Canvas Town and Other Stories
- Guy Boothby – Billy Binks, Hero, and Other Stories
- Albert Dorrington – "Castro's Last Sacrament"
- Edward Dyson
- Below and On Top
- "The Conquering Bush"
- Henry Lawson – "Bill, the Ventriloquial Rooster"
- Ethel Mills – "A Box of Dead Roses"
- K. Langloh Parker – More Australian Legendary Tales (edited)
- Roderic Quinn – "A Stripe for Trooper Casey"
- Steele Rudd – "On Our Selection"
- E. J. Brady
- "The Great Grey Water"
- "Lost and Given Over"
- Christopher Brennan
- "The Forest of Night: 1898-1902: The Twilight of Disquietude: 36"
- "Towards the Source : 1894-97 : 25"
- Victor J. Daley
- Edward Dyson – "Men of Australia"
- George Essex Evans – Loraine and Other Verses
- Ernest Favenc – "The Guard of the Northern Strait: A Song of Queensland"
- W. T. Goodge
- Henry Lawson – "Sydney-Side"
- Marion Miller Knowles – Songs from the Hills
- Breaker Morant – "Kitty's Broom"
- Will H. Ogilvie
- "Abandoned Selections"
- "Bowmont Water"
- Fair Girls and Gray Horses: With Other Verses
- A. B. Paterson
- Roderic Quinn
- "The Camp Within the West"
- "The Fisher"
- "The Hidden Tide"
- Thomas E. Spencer – "How M'Dougal Topped the Score"
A list, ordered by date of birth (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of births in 1898 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of death.
A list, ordered by date of death (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of deaths in 1898 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of birth.