1875 in sports
(Redirected from 1875 in sport)
1857 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
|Years in sports:||1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878|
|Centuries:||18th century · 19th century · 20th century|
|Decades:||1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s|
|Years:||1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878|
- FA Cup final – Royal Engineers 2–0 Old Etonians in a replay following a 1–1 draw (both games played at The Oval).
- 5 November — Blackburn Rovers founded at a meeting of enthusiasts in the St Leger Hotel, King William St, Blackburn.
- Birmingham City founded as Small Heath Alliance by cricketers from Holy Trinity Church in the Bordesley Green area of Birmingham.
- Introduction of crossbars.
- Wing play develops and the practice of "middling" (i.e., crossing) the ball is found to be effective. Heading is also introduced, apparently by players in Sheffield. Billy Mosforth of Sheffield FC is noted for his "screw shot" which gives him the ability to "bend" the ball in flight.
- National Association of Professional Base Ball Players champion – Boston Red Stockings (fourth consecutive season)
- 18 August — formation of Somerset County Cricket Club by a team of amateurs at a meeting in Sidmouth, Devonshire, immediately after a match against a local side.
- Grand National – Pathfinder
- 1,000 Guineas Stakes – Spinaway
- 2,000 Guineas Stakes – Camballo
- The Derby – Galopin
- The Oaks – Spinaway
- St. Leger Stakes – Craig Millar
- Melbourne Cup – Wollomai
- Queen's Plate – Young Trumpeter
The Boat Race
- "Scottish Cup Past Winners | Scottish Cup | Scottish FA". www.scottishfa.co.uk. Retrieved 5 February 2021.
- Cyber Boxing Zone – Tom Allen. Retrieved on 12 November 2009.
- A semi-official seasonal title proclaimed by media consensus prior to December 1889 when the official County Championship is constituted.