The following is a list of events, births, and deaths in 1857 in Switzerland.
- Hansli Kopp discovers La Tène culture artifacts
- Hugo Schiff leaves Germany for Switzerland due to political turmoil
- A conference between France, the United Kingdom, Prussia, and Russia ends the Neuchâtel Crisis as Prussia yields its claim to the principality
- The first Federal Palace completes construction
Arts and literatureEdit
- Horizons prochains by Madame de Gasparins is published
- March 14 - Rudolf Thurneysen, linguist and Celticist (d. 1940)
- June 18 - Arthur Hoffmann, politician (d. 1927)
- July 12 - Amé Pictet, chemist (d. 1937)
- July 31 - Ernest Chuard, politician (d. 1942)
- August 13 - Henri François Pittier, geographer and botanist (d. 1950)
- November 26 - Ferdinand de Saussure, linguist (d. 1913)
- César Roux, surgeon (d. 1934)
- Hugo (Ugo) Schiff, Schiff Bases, and a Century of b-Lactam Synthesis Thomas T. Tidwell Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2007, 46, 2–7 doi:10.1002/anie.200702965 PMID 18022986
- Oechsli, Wilhelm (1922). G. W. Protbero (ed.). History of Switzerland, 1499-1914. Cambridge historical series. Translated by Eden Paul; Cedar Paul. Cambridge University Press. pp. 439–446.
- Trebein, Bertha Eleanor (1916). Theodor Fontane as a critic of the drama. Columbia University Germanic studies. Columbia University Press. p. 19.