The year 1579 in science and technology included a number of events, some of which are listed here.
- June 17 – Francis Drake, during his circumnavigation of the world, lands in what is now California, which he claims for Queen Elizabeth I of England as Nova Albion.
Physiology and medicineEdit
- Hieronymus Fabricius discovers the membranous folds that serve as valves in the veins.
- January 12 (bapt.) – Jan Baptist van Helmont, Flemish chemist (died 1644)
- July 13 – Arthur Dee, English physician and alchemist (died 1651)
- June 17 – Johannes Stadius, Flemish mathematician and astronomer (born c. 1527)
- approx. date – Hans Staden, German adventurer (born c. 1525)
- ^ Winston, Robert, ed. (2013). Science Year by Year. London: Dorling Kindersley. ISBN 978-1-4093-1613-8.