11th Fighter Wing
|11th Fighter Wing
|Branch||United States Army Air Forces|
|Part of||Eighth Air Force|
The wing was constituted in late 1940 at Hamilton Field, California in the buildup of the United States Army Air Corps in response to the start of World War II in Europe. It moved to Army Air Base, Portland in 1941, where it assumed responsibility for organizing two pursuit groups. It was inactivated later that year, and its personnel used as part of the cadre for headquarters units of Fourth Air Force.
The wing was activated the following year at Drew Field, Florida. Although it was programmed for overseas deployment to the European Theater and was assigned to Eighth Air Force, it was attached to Third Air Force for training. It was never assigned any combat groups and was inactivated before deploying overseas.
In 1985 the wing was reconstituted on paper as the 367th Electronic Warfare Group, but was never active before being disbanded again in 1992.
- Constituted as the 11th Pursuit Wing on 19 October 1940
- Activated on 18 December 1940
- Inactivated on 2 October 1941
- Redesignated 11th Fighter Wing in October 1942
- Activated on 1 November 1942
- Inactivated on 1 May 1943
- Disbanded on 1 December 1943
- Reconstituted on 31 July 1985 and redesignated 367th Electronic Warfare Group (not active)
- Disbanded on 9 September 1992
- Northwest Air District 18 December 1940 – 2 October 1941
- Eighth Air Force, 1 November 1942 – 1 May 1943 (attached to Third Air Force)
- Hamilton Field, California, 18 December 1940
- Army Air Base, Portland, Oregon, June 1941 – 2 October 1941
- Drew Field, Florida, 1 November 1942 – 1 May 1943
- Abstract, History of 11th Fighter Wing Nov 1942 – Mar 1943 (retrieved Dec 13, 2012)
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1983) . Air Force Combat Units of World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. p. 381. ISBN 0-912799-02-1.
- Department of the Air Force/MPM Letter 648q, 31 July 1985, Subject: Reconstitution, Redesignation, and Consolidation of Selected Air Force Organizations
- Maurer, pp. 116–117
- Maurer, pp. 117–118
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1983) . Air Force Combat Units of World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-02-1. LCCN 61060979.