11th (East Africa) Division
|11th (East Africa) Division|
Formation sign of the 11th (East Africa) Division (second pattern).
|Part of||Fourteenth Army|
|Engagements||Second World War|
In 1943, the 11th (East Africa) Division was formed primarily of troops from British East Africa. The division should not be confused with the earlier 11th (African) Division which was composed of brigades both from British East Africa and from Nigeria in British West Africa, fought in the East African Campaign and was disbanded in late 1941.
The Division was composed of troops from Kenya, Uganda, Nyasaland, Tanganyika, Northern Rhodesia, and from Belgian Congo. The 11th (East Africa) Division fought with the Fourteenth Army in Burma during the Burma Campaign. In the later part of 1944, the division pursued the Japanese retreating from Imphal down the Kabaw valley and established bridgeheads over the Chindwin River. In 1945, elements of the division played a part in the Battle of Meiktila and Mandalay.
under Brigadier J. F. Macnab
- 2nd (Nyasaland) Bn. King's African Rifles
- 4th (Uganda) Bn. King's African Rifles
- 1st Bn. Northern Rhodesia Regiment
under Brigadier N. C. Hendricks
- 11th (Kenya) Bn. King's African Rifles
- 26th (Tanganyika) Bn. King's African Rifles
- 34th (Uganda) Bn. King's African Rifles
under Brigadier V. K. H. Channer (to November 18, 1944), Brigadier A. P. Walsh (from November 18, 1944)
- 22nd (Nyasaland) Bn. King's African Rifles
- 36th (Tanganyika) Bn. King's African Rifles
- 44th (Uganda) Bn. King's African Rifles
- 5th Bn. King's African Rifles (divisional reconnaissance unit)
- 13th Bn. King's African Rifles (HQ defence unit)
- 10th Belgian Congo Casualty Clearing Station
CRA Brigadier J. V. D. Radford
- 302nd East African Field Regiment
- 303rd East African Field Regiment
- 304th East African Field Regiment
- 34th East African Field Company
- 58th East African Field Company
- 64th East African Field Company
- 62nd East African Field Park Company
- 11th East African Divisional Signals
- Cole, Howard (1973). Formation Badges of World War 2. Britain, Commonwealth and Empire. London: Arms and Armour Press. pp. 91–2.
- "Burma Star Association - The 11th East African Division". Archived from the original on 20 January 2008. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- Balériaux, André (1991). Un Belge face aux japs du Fort de Battice à la Birmanie. Bruxelles: Ed. Collet.