This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2021) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In numerology, some New Age believers often link 11:11 to chance or coincidence. It is an example of synchronicity. For instance, those who are seeing 11:11 on a clock often claim it as an auspicious sign or signaling a spirit presence.
Post-hoc reasoning and confirmation bias provides a context for such claims, and skeptics have pointed out that the assertions of people like Uri Geller that 11:11 is somehow important in world events do not hold up to even cursory scrutiny.
Significance in datesEdit
For various reasons, people ascribe different kinds of significance to dates and numbers. For example, "the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month," 11:00 a.m. (Paris time) 11 November 1918, when the armistice ending World War I came into effect.
- Geller, Uri. "The 11:11 phenomenon." 2006. Web. 22 December 2014.
- "Why Do People Say "11:11," Make A Wish?". Dictionary.com. Retrieved 21 November 2020.
- Solara (1992). 11:11: Inside the Doorway. Charlottesville, VA: Star-Borne Unlimited. ISBN 1-878246-05-4.
- George Barnard (2004). The Search for 11:11: A Journey into the Spirit World. Australia: 11:11 Publishers. ISBN 0-9577889-6-7.
- "Uri Geller". Skeptic Report. Archived from the original on 8 October 2009. Retrieved 5 October 2009.
On his web site, Uri Geller has a list of things he connects with the number 11. He believes this number to be all-important. E.g. he attaches meaning to the fact that some people have noticed their clocks sometimes show the numbers "11:11".
- "The law of truly large numbers". Archived from the original on 2 December 2009. Retrieved 21 November 2009.
The law of truly large numbers says that with a large enough sample many odd coincidences are likely to happen.
- Basu, Moni. "11/11/11: 'Ones' in a lifetime". CNN. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- Savadove, Bill. "11/11/11 spells marriage and magic". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 12 November 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2011.