|Genre||Crime drama, mystery|
|Written by||Hakan Günday|
|Directed by||Onur Saylak|
|Starring||Haluk Bilginer |
Hüseyin Avni Danyal
|Theme music composer||Sertaç Özgümüş |
|Country of origin||Turkey|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Producers||Kenan Çatay |
|Running time||52-96 minutes|
|Production company||Ay Yapım|
|Original release||17 March –|
8 June 2018
Agâh Beyoğlu is a 65-year-old retired court clerk whose spouse died some time ago. Agâh lives alone in an old Ottoman building bearing the name of his deceased spouse, Mebrure, in Beyoğlu. One day, his beloved cat Münir Bey dies, since Agâh forgets to feed him. After the incident, he goes to a doctor to figure out the reasons of his memory impairment and there he is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Agâh can't accept the fact that he has Alzheimer's disease and becomes depressed. One day, when Agâh meets his friends at an invitation, he discerns some advantages of his disease and makes a decision which is a turning point.
Nevra Elmas is a young and idealist police-officer working in Istanbul Police Headquarters. She is the only female personnel in the Homicide Department but due to her gender, she experiences mobbing by her male co-workers, especially by misogynist Firuz. Her workmates believe that she does not deserve her position in the department and that her assignment is purely and simply due to benevolent sexism.
A serial-killer wearing a cat costume shows up in Istanbul. There is a common ground between the victims, Nevra Elmas, and Agâh Beyoğlu: Kambura, a small and conservative district near to Istanbul.
|Actor name||Character's name|
|Haluk Bilginer||Agâh Beyoğlu|
|Cansu Dere||Nevra Elmas|
|Metin Akdülger||Ateş Arbay|
|Şebnem Bozoklu||Zuhal Beyoğlu|
|Hüseyin Avni Danyal||Cemil Havran|
|Avni Yalçın||Mehmet Yurtgil|
|Bekir Hakan Uyanık||Başkomiser|
|Ali Seçkiner Alıcı||Naim Türedi|
Writing for Vatan, Oya Doğan criticized the length of the first episode, adding that it "was too long [...] 85 percent of the first episode was telling who Agah Beyoğlu was". In her article, she mentions that the series initially followed the typical rules set out for web series but later became more like a television series. Sabah writer Ayşe Özyılmazel praised the production quality of the series and described it as "perhaps the best series in the history of Turkish series". In 2020, Şahsiyet was on the IMDb's list of the best serials of all time, ranked 22nd.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Year||Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result||References|
|2018||EN Awards||Best Internet TV series of 2018||Şahsiyet||Won|||
|2019||SXSW Film Design Awards||Excellence in Title Design||Ethem Cem & Enes Özenbaş||Nominated|||
|International Emmy Award||Best Performance by an Actor||Haluk Bilginer||Won|||
- "Şahsiyet dizisinin müzikleri listeleri zorluyor". Haberlercom. 31 March 2018. Archived from the original on 31 March 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kambura nerede? Şahsiyet dizisindeki Kambura gerçekte neresi?". NTV. 16 May 2018. Archived from the original on 10 July 2018. Retrieved 9 June 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Haluk Bilginer'e Uluslararası Emmy ödülü
- "2019 INTERNATIONAL EMMY® WINNERS ANNOUNCED AT GALA IN NEW YORK". iemmys.tv. 2019.
- Doğan, Oya (19 March 2018). "Şahsiyet her hafta 3 bölüm yayınlansın". Vatan. Archived from the original on 22 April 2018. Retrieved 16 April 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Özyılmazel, Ayşe (21 March 2018). "'Şahsiyet' Bir senaryo sıkıntısı daha". Sabah. Archived from the original on 16 April 2018. Retrieved 16 April 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "IMDb Top 250 TV - IMDb". imdb.com. 2020. Archived from the original on 2020-06-18.
- ""Şahsiyet" dünyada en iyi 40 dizi arasına girdi". hurriyet.com. 2018.
- "Şahsiyet 2018'in en iyi internet dizisi seçildi" (in Turkish). ntv.com.tr. 2019.
- "The 2019 SXSW Film Festival Lineup". sxsw.com. 2019-03-18. Retrieved 2021-01-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)