Łodzia coat of arms
Łodzia (obsolete Polish for "boat") is a Polish coat of arms. It was used by many noble families of the Kingdom of Poland and the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. A variant serves as the coat of arms of the city of Łódź (the city's name literally means "Boat"). It's a classic example of the so-called canting arms well known in European heraldry as it was borne by the medieval lords de Łodzia (a feudal lordship) and their clan. Hence the boat in the shield, clearly alluding to the estate's name literally meaning Boat. Coats of Arms in the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth were a symbol of a heraldic clan.
|Battle cry||Jelita, Nagody|
|Alternative name(s)||Lodzic, Navis, Nawa, Framberg, Fragenbarg, Frymbark|
|Earliest mention||1303 (seal)|
The first Łodzia coat of arms featured a golden letter M on the shield, and a boat in the crest. That version was used by Mikołaj of Łodzia in 1301. By 1315, however, all the bearers of the coat of arms had adopted the version used by Wojciech of Krośno. Initially the coat of arms had a checkerboard background, which by 1382 had been supplanted by a plain red field.
Until the 16th century, variously shaped boats were depicted. After the publication of Bartosz Paprocki's Herby rycerstwa polskiego (The Coats-of-Arms of Polish Chivalry, 1584), most authors adopted the present version. Paprocki was also the first to mention the crest as comprising peacock feathers with boat superimposed.
Gules, a rudderless and mastless boat Or.
Notable members of the clan and bearers of this coat of arms include:
- House of Czarniecki
- House of Opaliński
- Andrzej Opaliński (1540–1593), Great Crown Marshal
- Andrzej Opaliński (1575–1623), Bishop of Poznań
- Łukasz de Bnin Opaliński, Castellan of Poznań
- Łukasz de Bnin Opaliński, poet, Court Marshal of the Crown
- House of Kurnatowski
- Zygmunt Łodzia Kurnatowski
- Łukasz Górka z Górki h. Łodzia,[[ komornik [cen] dwór królewski (1433), podczaszy [poz] Poznań (1438), starosta generalny [poz] Wielkopolska, starosta [poz] Kościan (1441), starosta [str] pobiedziskie, wojewoda [poz] Poznań (1441-1475)]]/<https://wielcy.pl/wgm/?m=NG&t=PN&n=6.585.13>
- J. Lyčkoŭski. "Belarusian Nobility Coats of Arms". Lodzia Coat of Arms and the bearers. (in English)