|City of license||South Bend, Indiana|
|Broadcast area||South Bend, Indiana|
|First air date||1947|
|Format||Silent (was Sports)|
|Power||1,000 watts unlimited|
|Callsign meaning||W-The PoiNT (former calls on 1620 to compliment former CNN Headline News audio simulcast)|
|Former callsigns||WDND (2006-2009)
|Owner||Artistic Media Partners, Inc.|
|Sister stations||WDND, WNDV, WSMM, WSSM|
The station first went on the air in 1947 as WNDU, under the ownership of the University of Notre Dame. In 1998 the college agreed to sell WNDU and sister station WNDU-FM to Artistic Media Partners, which changed the call letters of the two stations to WNDV and WNDV-FM.
In the fall of 2006, Artistic changed the call letters of 1490 WNDV to WDND, affiliating with ESPN Radio and implementing the Sports Talk format which had been airing on a South Bend station operated by Artistic at 1580 AM.
Artistic moved the WDND calls and format to its station at 1620 AM when the transmitting tower for the 1490 AM facility on the Notre Dame campus was dismantled to make room for a new hockey arena. The former call letters of the 1620 station, WPNT, were assigned to the silent 1490 operation on May 13, 2009.
The station at 1490 was expected to return to the air when Artistic found a new tower location.
On June 6, 2011, the license for 1490 AM was canceled by the FCC.
- "WPNT Station Search Details". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "WDND Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "South Bend Tribune news article on WDND's programming moving to 1620".
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WPNT
- Radio-Locator Information on WPNT
- Query Arbitron's AM station database for WPNT