I'm Shahid (शाहिद), a young contributor originally coming from India. My biggest interests in Wikipedia are:
- Bollywood, and anything related.
- Preity Zinta (after months of hard work it's finally an FA!)
- Every other thing which could interest me.
Where films are concerned, my first love is Hindi cinema (Bollywood). As an ordinary Indian guy from Mumbai, I grew up watching Hindi films. I'm much more attached to Hindi films, but I definitely enjoy Hollywood films too and do admit that the majority of them are far more progressive and innovative in terms of writing and technique.
- Raj Kapoor, Ashok Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Mithun Chakraborty and Naseeruddin Shah from classic and golden age cinema.
- Nana Patekar and Paresh Rawal - character actors I really like.
- Shahrukh Khan - an intense actor with great acting skills. His mainstream days introduced some of Hindi cinema's best romantic films, and he's given some extraoridnary performances.
- Aamir Khan and Saif Ali Khan. Aamir and Saif are also brilliant actors, everyone in his own way. I remember them from the very outset of their careers, but was mostly impressed with their work in recent years.
- Salman Khan - not an actor in the full sense of the word, but I've immensely liked several of his films.
- Akshay Kumar - again, not the best actor but has always been a favourite, the action hero whom I tried to emulate.
- Today: Hrithik Roshan is a good actor. I was really impressed with his challenging roles, good performances and his dedication to his craft.
- Hollywood and more: Marlon Brando, Dustin Hoffman, Robert De Niro, Tom Cruise, Sylvester Stallone.
- Rekha - Beautiful and versatile, she has delivered a wide range of memorable performances, many of which can be easily considered some of the best Hindi cinema has seen. I can see her even in the worst film and still like her. Very few actors have that quality. According to me one of the finest female actors.
- Nargis, Meena Kumari, Nutan, Hema Malini, Jaya Bhaduri and Shabana Azmi from classic and yesteryear cinema.
- Farida Jalal and Kirron Kher - two of my favourite character actresses.
- Dimple Kapadia - a natural actress with a very intense style.
- Madhuri Dixit - a brilliant actress, and one of the most beautiful women in the world (I mean it).
- Juhi Chawla - beautiful and vibrant, a gifted comic actress, but at the same time good at drama.
- Preity Zinta - a naturally gifted talent, whose screen persona is replete with charm, energy and authenticity. I think she is one of the most talented actresses in today's Hindi films. I like her bubbly personality and forthright manner, and was impressed by several of her performances.
- Manisha Koirala - beautiful, talented with powerful acting skills. She is perfect in almost everything she does. Probably the best actress of the 1990s.
- Urmila Matondkar - talented, sexy and attractive. Her psychological dramatic roles and her intensity are unbelievable, and she's a great dancer as well.
- Karisma Kapoor - after years of dreadful comedies gave an amazing performance in Fiza (one of the best performances by an Indian actress) and later on surprised with Zubeidaa and Shakti. She is not a consistently great performer, honestly speaking, and she often overacts in her commercial films.
- Kajol and Rani Mukerji - Kajol is a natural performer and has that irresistible charisma. She is generally superb in thrillers and very effective in romantic dramas.
I mostly liked Rani in Saathiya and Black.
- Konkona Sen Sharma is easily the finest young actress of the current lot and I see her as the leading actress of Indian art cinema, following the steps of Shabana and Smita.
- Smita Patil was a great actress. One of the finest Indian cinema has produced, actually. It saddens to hear every time of her untimely death.
- Hollywood and more - Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Sophia Loren, Shirley Maclaine, Diane Keaton, Meryl Streep, Kathy Bates, Julia Roberts, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett.
Oh there are a lot of... Overall I like all kinds of films. The most important aspects to me are acting, scropt and direction (well, to anyone actuall, no?). As my first love is Indian cinema (I'm a big fan of American films as well of course), I'll talk about Indian films here.
- I like very much art films (in India, parallel cinema). Realistic films make one feel as if he was the one to experience the story. Shyam Benegal's films are among the greatest, followed by those made by Mahesh Bhatt, Mani Ratnam, Aparna Sen and Rituparno Ghosh. But my all-time favourite is Gulzar hands down! His writing is so artistic, realistic and special. Mira Nair and Deepa Mehta, though their work is generally out of India, are my favourite filmmakers who make foreign films about India and Indian culture. I'm also a fan of Ram Gopal Varma, a great filmmaker. In addition to terrific dramas, he has contributed significantly to the horror/thriller genre, which is not very present in Indian cinema.
- The more commercial Hindi cinema is fantastic (well, most of the time, not as much today though). Raj Kapoor, Hrishikesh Mukherjee and Yash Chopra made unforgettable films. Every aspect of their individual work created a very unique style for each of them, which has often been identified with them only. I've grown up with their films and I believe their films created the inimitable culture of Hindi cinema. Mukherjee in particular was doing great social films with nice messages, and I like the realistic portrayal of middle-class people in his films. His cinema was a kind of blend of art and mainstream cinema. Filmmakers who made films on middle-class lives with a very similar style and with great success include Basu Chatterjee, whose films I like a lot.
Basically, I enjoy every possible music genre in goos measure. I obviously love Indian music, no matter what it is. Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle are world living legends. Although today Indian music faces a great deal of modernisation and is gradually becoming more westernised, I think it used to be very melodious back in time, and that's the style I personally prefer. Among many muic genres, I like middle-eastern music, Spanish music (particularly those rhythmic latin numbers), soul, rock, hip-hop and blues, fifties-sixties, italo disco etc.
The above sections may have given you a mistaken view. But I'm happy to announce and make it clear that I'm not here to glorify my favourites. I'm totally against any kind of POV, and during my time on WP have constantly fought against its inclusion. I always try to keep myself fair-minded and unbiased, and that's the approach I would expect from fellow editors. I generally work on different articles, but I'm mainly interested in improving Bollywood-related pages. When I joined WP, they used to be in incredibly poor quality where writing is concerned. But with time, many great editors joined the project and today there are many high-level articles, which I look at and can be only proud of.
- My work in Wikipedia includes
- Creating [and usually writing] film and actor articles, as well as lists, templates, cats etc.
- Cleaning up film and actor articles
- Expanding film and actor articles (to make them look good and to raise their standards up.)
- Reverting vandalism anywhere.
- As said above, every other thing which could interest me.
For further information, see my contributions list below.
- "One minute of reconciliation is worth more than a whole life of friendship." (Gabriel García Márquez)
- "Sin and love and fear are just sounds that people who never sinned nor loved nor feared have for what they never had and cannot have until they forgot the words..." (William Faulkner)
- "Facts are many, but the truth is one." (Rabindranath Tagore)
- "Death is terrifying, but it would be even more terrifying to find out that you are going to live forever and never die." (Anton Chekhov)
- "If you really think about it, everything is wonderful in this world, everything except for our thoughts and deeds when we forget about the loftier goals of existence, about our human dignity." (Anton Chekhov)
I highly appreciate↑Jump back a section
Pages I have created:
Discographies and Albums:
Articles I have widely expanded:
I've worked on many articles, in fact so many it would be difficult to mention them all, but those I can think of are:
- Fighting for redirecting Rekha Ganesan to Rekha. It was a hard task... In fact, very hard!
- Organised most of the category pages of the Filmfare Awards, changing the layout and adding nominations. It takes a lot of energy but the result is pleasing.
- I've been the main contributor of the Preity Zinta article for almost a year-and-half now. My history with the article was long!! My biggest dream was always to make it FA. But it was not an easy task; it was actually the opposite! It was first listed as GA, thanks to the help of Blof, and later approved as A-class biography article. However, its FAC turned out as a whole mess - it failed, and was delisted from GA. That was tough, but then, thanks to the help of Dwai and John, it was improved further. But there was no end to obstacles, and even after taking a peer review, it did not get listed as GA, and we had to start a GA reassessment to make it GA. Following that, after further work, copyedits and improvement, I thought it was time to face another FAC, but because of what had happened before, I thought it would be better to take another PR to be sure. And the second long FAC, which at some points seemed to be waiting for the same results as the previous one, it passed FA!!! After months of work, two GANs, two PRs, and two FACs (and many discussions in different noticeboards as well), it finally passed FA on May 27, 2008!!!
- Hema Sardesai (created and written by me):
Did you know that Hema Sardesai is the only Indian singer to win the Grand Prix at the 16th International Pop Song Festival in Germany?
- Godfrey Phillips National Bravery Awards (created and written by me):
Did you know that India's Red and White Bravery Awards were renamed the Godfrey Phillips National Bravery Awards after protests claimed it provided surrogate advertising for Red and White brand cigarettes?
- Kaash (created and written by me):
- Ness Wadia (expanded by Blofeld and me):
Did you know that Indian businessman Ness Wadia, a co-owner of the Indian Premier League cricket team Kings XI Punjab, is the great-grandson of Pakistan founder Mohammad Ali Jinnah?
- Vachan (creted and expanded by me):
Did you know that the 1955 Hindi film Vachan marked composer Ravi's debut as a film music director?
Did you know that the Indian film Shehar Aur Sapna, a love story set in a drain pipe, won the National Film Award for Best Film and Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for actor Nana Palsikar?
... that director Asit Sen received his first and only Filmfare Best Director Award for his 1970 film Safar, which was not nominated for the Best Film award?
Hopefully I can say, this list will only increase gradually with the time (and it does, I just can't bother updating it all the time:-))
|The Indian Cinema Barnstar|
|I, Blofeld the Bald, award this Indian cinema Barnstar for your excellent and prolific work on Indian films and actresses and cleaning up articles to a high standard. Your're a credit to the industry. This is also for sharing my exquisite taste in beautiful actresses. As they say in Scotland "Ya doi'n good laddie"!|
|For being one of those editors who have continuously helped improve many Bollywood articles by leaps and bounds. --Bollywood Dreamz Talk 06:29, 7 September 2007 (UTC)|
|The Special Barnstar|
|For Shahid, who never gives up, who is improving Preity Zinta's article continously, who is a great Wikipedian and a helpful editor on many, many articles - and a good, quick vandalism fighter. Best regards, Plumcouch Talk2Me 01:08, 8 November 2007 (UTC)|
|The Working Contributor Barnstar|
|For being one of the most helpful and kindest Wikipedians as well as contributing so much to Preity Zinta's article and many other Bollywood related articles and never giving up hope. Keep up the good work my friend. --Bollywood Dreamz Talk 21:22, 10 November 2007 (UTC)|
|The Resilient Barnstar|
|For a resilient editor who learns and improves from criticisms, never lets blunders or extremely difficult situations impede his growth as Wikipedian and has the ability to recover with a smile. "Talk"? 23:12, 10 November 2007 (UTC)|
|I, Pa7, award Shshshsh the Bollywood barnstar for his complete dedication towards the related articles and his tireless effort in making sure the articles reach the highest standards. Your a huge asset to Bollywood cinema. Well done and keep up the good work :-) Pa7 13:13, 18 November 2007 (UTC)|
The Bollywood Barnstar
Considering all the work that it took to get it there, you more than deserve this, Shahid. Great work on getting Preity Zinta to GA!--John Carter (talk) 02:34, 26 February 2008 (UTC)
|The Special Barnstar|
|For Shahid for perservering with Preity Zinta's article continously making it great as well as being the nicest editor on the planet Universal Hero (talk) 18:18, 26 February 2008 (UTC)|
|The Crap toleration barnstar|
|For your outstanding ability to deal with the crap that you encounter and staminar at using the pooper scooper to make wikipedia a better place. How you tolerate such a strong exposure to ammonia (which is potentially lethal) I don't know but the Bald One is proud of your resistance to it. Keep up the strong resistence to it and in making the world a cleaner place!! $1,000,000? 17:48, 1 March 2008 (UTC)|
The Optimist's Star
For not quitting even when it would have been easier to. Girolamo Savonarola (talk) 03:05, 27 May 2008 (UTC), and endorsed by Ncmvocalist (talk) 15:45, 28 May 2008 (UTC)
|The Most Resilient Editor on Wikipedia Barnstar|
CONGRATULATIONS!! To Mr. Shahid, owner of the biggest pair of Cajones on wikipedia
Never letting months of blood, sweat and tears and hell put a stop to his truly unbelievable determination to succeed. I hereby award you this Tireless Contributor Barnstar to congratulate you for achieving your first much deserved FA article. May this article be a model for other articles on Indian actors and actresses to follow and may this have provided you with much experience in the knowledge of what is required for future FA's. I wish you all the very best and it is brilliant how you stuck in there when most editors would have given up. It shows a great strength of character. Have some time to celebrate but please let me join in with you!!!
$1,000,000? 10:27, 27 May 2008 (UTC)
|The Indian Cinema Barnstar|
|A Bollywood barnstar for Shahid's brilliant work on the Preity Zinta and other articles. Finally, after such a long time, Zinta article has achieved the FA status, thanks to unputdownable Shahid.Congrats! --Dwaipayan (talk) 12:26, 27 May 2008 (UTC)|
|The Half Barnstar|
|Presenting you with one half of the great barnstar of collaboration for the Preity Zinta article. The other half goes to Dwaipayan. Aditya(talk • contribs) 15:01, 27 May 2008 (UTC) and fully endorsed by Mspraveen (talk) 16:32, 27 May 2008 (UTC)|
|The Special Barnstar|
|I hereby award Shahid, one of the most helpful and kindest Wikipedian, this Special Barnstar for his continious and amazing work on Wikipedia, particularly for his tireless involvement and dedication on Preity Zinta's article; the article truly deserves to be at the spot it is today. Keep up the good work my friend!! Regards, --Bollywood Dreamz Talk 16:49, 27 May 2008 (UTC)|
|The WikiProject Films Award|
|I, hereby award User:Shshshsh the WikiProject Films Award for his/her valued contibutions to WikiProject Films. A thoroughly deserved achievemnet for you know what. Keep going Buddy! Universal Hero (talk) 10:00, 28 May 2008 (UTC)|
|The Bollywood barnstar awarded to Shahid, for his awesome contribution to the Preity Zinta article as well as Indian cinema. This is also for basically hanging in there despite all the obstacles. Keep at it! Pa7 17:55, 28 May 2008 (UTC)|
|The Half Barnstar|
|For holding the fort, for responding to development, for guidance and for love. After the Riya Sen graduation I can't help giving you one of these. Cheers Aditya(talk • contribs) 08:09, 14 June 2008 (UTC)|
|The Indian Barnstar of National Merit|
|Awarded to Shshshsh aka Shahid, one of the most prolific editors from India. We are proud of you ! -- Tinu Cherian - 06:41, 5 December 2008 (UTC)|
Shshshsh has been identified as an Awesome Wikipedian,
A record of your Day will always be kept here.
|The No Spam Barnstar|
|For your exceptional efforts in keeping the POV merchants locked in the cell where they belong and maintaining some level of neutrality. ♦ Dr. Blofeld 17:21, 20 July 2011 (UTC)|
|The Original Barnstar|
|Very Good job with the Bollywood stars pages. Keep it up :D Meryam90 (talk) 01:51, 11 August 2011 (UTC)|
|Thanks for your contributions|
Here is a quick note to say 'thank you' for such wonderful contributions on Preity Ziinta article and making it a FA. I'm sure you must be one of her biggest fans. :)
|The Bollywood Barnstar of Excellence|
|For your excellent work expanding the Dimple Kapadia article. Wonderful job my friend! ♦ Dr. Blofeld 14:16, 24 December 2011 (UTC)|
|The Tireless Contributor Barnstar|
|Because you're probably the main contributer to every article about a Bollywood celebrity. Brilliant stuff man, keep it up. Meryam90 (talk) 00:03, 26 December 2011 (UTC)|
You are winner of the 37th round of India Quiz!
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: User:Shshshsh|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: User:Shshshsh|
- Policies & Guidelines
List of Policies • Featured Article Criteria • Featured Article • Featured Article Candidate • The Perfect Article • Citing sources • Neutral Point of View • Bios of living persons • RFC • Lead Section • Manual of Style • Writing better •
Civility • Protection requests • Move requests