The Story of William Tell
|The Story of William Tell|
|Directed by||Jack Cardiff|
|Produced by||Errol Flynn
|Written by||John Dighton|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Release date(s)||1954 (proposed)|
The Story of William Tell is an unfinished film starring and producing Errol Flynn about William Tell that commenced filming in Italy in 1953 and was meant to be the directorial debut of Jack Cardiff. It was filmed in Cinemascope. A £10,000 model town set was built near Mont Blanc.
Flynn put up approximately $430,000 of his own money towards the $860,000 budgeted production which started in June 1953.
Flynn desperately sought finance to re-activate the production, estimated at around £150,000, but was unable to. In 1956 he claimed he had $340,000 of his own money in the film and still hoped to make it in autumn of that year. This did not eventuate.
The experience caused Flynn major financial difficulties from which he did not recover until shortly before his death.
- "Comeback for the fabulous Errol Flynn.". The Australian Women's Weekly (1933 - 1982) (1933 - 1982: National Library of Australia). 24 December 1958. p. 56. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "Creditors Are In Full Cry.". The Sun-Herald (Sydney, NSW : 1953 - 1954) (Sydney, NSW: National Library of Australia). 11 October 1953. p. 68. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- Tony Thomas, Rudy Behlmer & Clifford McCarty, The Films of Errol Flynn, Citadel Press, 1969 p 197-198
- "Flynn Has New Trouble.". Barrier Miner (Broken Hill, NSW : 1888 - 1954) (Broken Hill, NSW: National Library of Australia). 29 September 1953. p. 3. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "Bailiffs seize Errol's car.". The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956) (Melbourne, Vic.: National Library of Australia). 1 October 1953. p. 3. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "Flynn needs money.". The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956) (Melbourne, Vic.: National Library of Australia). 13 November 1953. p. 5. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- Errol Claims He's Now in Like Flynn With Creditors, Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 04 Mar 1956: E2.
- Phil Hall, "Outta Gas - Film Threat's Top 10 Unfinished Films of All Time", Film Threat, June 21, 2006 accessed July 5 2012
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language