Inside Llewyn Davis
|Inside Llewyn Davis|
|Directed by||Joel Coen
|Produced by||Scott Rudin
|Written by||Joel Coen
|Based on||The Mayor of Macdougal Street
by Dave Van Ronk, Elijah Wald
|Studio||Mike Zoss Productions
Scott Rudin Productions
|Distributed by||CBS Films
|Running time||105 minutes|
Inside Llewyn Davis is an upcoming American drama film written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen. The film stars Oscar Isaac, Carey Mulligan, and Justin Timberlake and tells the story of a singer-songwriter who navigates New York's folk music scene in the 1960s. It is loosely based on Dave Van Ronk's posthumously published (2005) memoir The Mayor of MacDougal Street. The film is competing for the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, where it screened on May 19, 2013, and will travel the festival circuit before opening in December 2013.
Set in 1961, Inside Llewyn Davis was inspired by the cultural disconnection within a New York-based music scene where the songs seemed to come from all parts of the United States except New York, but whose performers included Brooklyn-born Van Ronk and Ramblin' Jack Elliott. Producer Scott Rudin, who worked with the Coens on True Grit and No Country for Old Men, collaborated on the project. StudioCanal helped finance it without an American distributor in place. "After shooting in New York City and elsewhere last year...the brothers finished the movie at their own pace", wrote Michael Cieply in a January 2013 New York Times interview with Joel Coen ahead of a private, pre-Grammys screening in Los Angeles. "They could have rushed it into the Oscar season but didn’t." On February 19, CBS Films announced it had picked up the U.S. domestic distribution rights for about $4 million. StudioCanal has rights to international distribution and foreign sales.
T Bone Burnett, Justin Timberlake, Marcus Mumford and Oscar Issac contributed in crafting the film's soundtrack, which consists of covers of old folk songs. Burnett did the same for O Brother, Where Art Thou?, which sold about 8 million copies in the United States.
The film is schedule for a limited release in the United States on December 6, 2013, followed by a wide release on December 20.
- "StudioCanal to co-finance ‘Llewyn Davis’". Variety. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- Fleming, Mike. "CBS Films Acquires Coen Brothers' 'Inside Llewyn Davis'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- Russ Fischer (June 25, 2011). "The Coen Bros. New Script is Based on the 60′s NYC Folk Scene". /Film. Retrieved February 11. 2012.
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 18 April 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Knegt, Peter (May 9, 2013). "Here's The Screening Schedule For The 2013 Cannes Competition Lineup". The Playlist. IndieWire. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Dargis, Manhola (May 19, 2013). "Singing a Happier Tune in Cannes". New York Times. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Fleming, Mike (October 13, 2011). "Oscar Isaac Lands Lead In Coen Brothers 60s Folk Music Film". Deadline.com. PMC. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Gallagher, Brian (October 20, 2011). "Carey Mulligan Joins 'Inside Llewyn Davis'". MovieWeb.com. MovieWeb™, Inc. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Aaron (November 1, 2011). "John Goodman and Justin Timberlake Join the Coen Brothers' Inside Llewyn Davis". FilmJunk.com. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Newman, Nick (October 31, 2011). "John Goodman Joins Coens' 'Inside Llewyn Davis'". TheFilmStage.com. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Chitwood, Adam (January 9, 2012). "Garrett Hedlund Joins Coen Bros.’ INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS". Collider.com. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- "Stark Sands Joins Coen Bros' Inside Llewyn Davis". Cinemablend.com. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "Inside Llewyn Davis cast - at screenrush.co.uk".
- Weiss, Keely (April 13, 2012). "Adam Driver, Boy Among Girls". Interview. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- "NYCBM Guest, Ethan Phillips". Mike Carbo's New York Comic Book Marketplace. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- Cieply, Michael (January 27, 2013). "Macdougal Street Homesick Blues". New York Times. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "CBS Films Pays $4 Million for Coen Bros.' 'Inside Llewyn Davis'". Billboard (story credited to The Hollywood Reporter). February 19, 2013.
- "CBS Films Acquires The Coen Brothers’ ‘Inside Llewyn Davis’". CBS Films press release. February 19, 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Aquino, Tara (December 28, 2012). "Interview: Oscar Isaac Talks "10 Years," the Coen Brothers' "Inside Llewyn Davis," and Jamming with Justin Timberlake". Complex Magazine.
- McNary, Dave (May 3, 2013). "Coen Brothers’ ‘Inside Llewyn Davis’ Dated For Dec. 6". Variety. Reed Business Information. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- Inside Llewyn Davis at the Internet Movie Database
- Inside Llewyn Davis at Rotten Tomatoes
- Inside Llewyn Davis at Metacritic