Zackary Bowman (born November 18, 1984) is a retired American football cornerback. He was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Nebraska and New Mexico Military Institute. He has also played for the New York Giants and Miami Dolphins.
Bowman with the Chicago Bears in 2011
|Born:||November 18, 1984|
Columbia, South Carolina
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||210 lb (95 kg)|
|High school:||Anchorage (AK) Bartlett|
|NFL Draft:||2008 / Round: 5 / Pick: 142|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
After Bowman attended New Mexico Military Institute, he attended University of Nebraska–Lincoln. In his two seasons at Nebraska Bowman had a total of 56 tackles, 20 pass break ups, 3 interceptions, and he played in 22 games, 9 of which he started.
The Chicago Bears selected in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He made the team's opening day roster but was relegated to the practice squad to make room for guard Dan Buenning, who was acquired in a trade. The Bears signed Bowman off the practice squad in week seven, after their top three cornerbacks were ruled out of a game against the Minnesota Vikings due to injuries. Bowman played a crucial role in the Bears victory over the Vikings by recovering a fumbled punt in the endzone for a touchdown. Bowman sustained an injury in the fourth quarter, which should have left him sidelined for the remainder of the game, but he insisted on returning due to the Bears shallow depth at the cornerback position. He recorded his first career interception upon returning, which also prevented the Vikings from engineering a last second touchdown drive. Bowman required surgery to repair the injury he sustained during the game, and was placed on the team's injury reserve for the remainder of the season. His efforts during the week merited him the "NFC Special Teams Player of the Week" Award.
In training camp 2009, coaches were very impressed with Bowman's abilities and play on the practice field. Despite missing most of the preseason with a hamstring injury, Bowman was expected to be a key part of the Bears secondary in 2009 with teammates Nathan Vasher and Charles Tillman.
In Week 2 of the regular season, Bowman took over Vasher's starting spot at cornerback. He recorded 66 tackles, six interceptions, and one forced fumble over the course of the season.
During the Bears 2010 mini camp, head coach Lovie Smith announced that Bowman would replace Charles Tillman as the team's left side cornerback. In a typical Cover 2 defense, team's will usually place their best cornerback on the left side of their defensive formations.
Second stint with ChicagoEdit
Bowman was later re-signed by the Bears. In Week 16 against the Arizona Cardinals, Bowman recovered Beanie Wells' fumble in the endzone for a Bears touchdown, as the Bears won 28-13. In 2013, Bowman was an unrestricted free agent, but signed a one-year deal with the Bears. During the season, Bowman played in all 16 games while starting in seven, and recorded 49 tackles along with three interceptions.
New York GiantsEdit
- Adam T on September 2, 6:14p (February 9, 2008). "Bears Trade For Dan Buenning". Windy City Gridiron. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- Mayer, Larry (October 20, 2008). "Bowman to undergo surgery to repair biceps injury". chicagobears.com. Retrieved October 21, 2008.
- Mayer, Larry (October 22, 2008). "Bears place Bowman on IR, sign veteran safety Holt". chicagobears.com. Retrieved September 7, 2009.
- Greenberg, Jon (September 3, 2009). "Preseason football, regular-season prices". ESPN. espnchicago.com. Retrieved September 7, 2009.
- Dickerson, Jeff (March 17, 2010). "Vasher never recovered from groin injury". ESPN. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- Biggs, Brad (May 24, 2010). "Charles Tillman trading places for Bears". SB Nation. Retrieved May 25, 2010.
- Vikings reportedly agree to deal with former Bears CB Zackary Bowman
- Wiederer, Dan. "Vikings wave bye-bye to Bowman, Brown as Jefferson, Asper arrive". Star Tribune. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
- Mayer, Larry (January 1, 2012). "Bears release 2008 first-round pick Chris Williams". Chicago Bears. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- McManaman, Bob (December 23, 2012). "Bears 28, Cardinals 13". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- Mayer, Larry (March 15, 2013). "Bears agree to deal with Bowman; Roach joins Raiders". Chicago Bears. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- Mayer, Larry (January 30, 2014). "Jennings a bright spot on defense". Chicago Bears. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "New York Giants, CB Zack Bowman Agree to One-Year Deal".
- "Miami Dolphins sign cornerback Zack Bowman".
- PRESS RELEASE: Dolphins Make Roster Moves
- Lissau, Russell (December 9, 2011). "Bears' wives go holiday shopping for needy families". Daily Herald. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- Hendricks, Maggie (August 15, 2011). "The Papa Bears". NBC Chicago. Retrieved August 1, 2017.