Army of the Revolution
The Army of the Revolution (Arabic: جيش الثورة; Jaysh al-Thawra) is a Syrian rebel alliance affiliated with the Southern Front of the Free Syrian Army. It is composed of 5 FSA factions which mainly operated in the Daraa Governorate in southwestern Syria. One of its commanders stated that the group is a "temporary operations room" due to the separation between western and eastern Daraa, and that the "door is open" for other groups to join the alliance.
|Army of the Revolution|
Arabic: جيش الثورةParticipant in the Syrian Civil War
|Active||4 December 2016 – 31 July 2018|
|Area of operations|
|Part of||Free Syrian Army|
|Battles and war(s)||Syrian Civil War|
- Yarmouk Army
- United Sham Front
- Mu'tazz Billah Army
- Martyr Walid Qaisi Brigade
- Muhajireen and Ansar Brigade
- Hasan ibn Ali Brigade
- Dawn of Islam Division
- Free Nawa Forces
- Free Nawa Brigade
- Bani Umayya Brigade
- Farouq Brigade
- Omar Mukhtar Brigade
- Southern Company
- Gaza Houran Brigade
- Clear Victory Brigade
- Muhammad the Conqueror Brigade
- Soldiers of Islam Brigade
- Martyr Ahmad al-Awad Brigade
- Omar ibn al-Khattab Brigade
- Lions of the South Brigade
- Technical Battalion
The Yarmouk Army (Arabic: جيش اليرموك; transliteration: Jaysh al-Yarmouk), originally known as the Yarmouk Brigade, is a prominent FSA rebel group operating in the Quneitra and Daraa governorates. The group is one of the units that has received BGM-71 TOW missiles. It joined the Southern Front on 14 February 2014 and the Hawks of the South coalition on 27 December 2014.
In January 2016, the United Sham Front joined the group.
Mu'tazz Billah ArmyEdit
The Mu'tazz Billah Army (Arabic: جيش المعتز بالله; transliteration: Jaysh al-Mu'tazz Billah), formerly called the Mu'tazz Billah Brigade (Arabic: لواء المعتز بالله; transliteration: Liwa al-Mu'tazz Billah), named after al-Mu'tazz, is a FSA group active in Daraa. It also received TOW missiles from the Military Operations Center based in Jordan. The group has clashed with the Islamic Muthanna Movement. It was also previously part of the Daraa Military Council.
On 11 September 2017, Captain Bara Nabulsi was appointed as the general commander of the Mu'tazz Billah Army, replacing Colonel Khalid Nabulsi. Col. Nabulsi was previously the commander of the Southern Front's joint command operations room in 2014.
Muhajireen and Ansar BrigadeEdit
The Emigrants and Helpers Brigade (Arabic: لواء المهاجرون والأنصار; transliteration: Liwa al-Muhajireen wal-Ansar) was one of the earliest FSA groups formed in the Daraa Governorate. The group is affiliated with the Supreme Military Council and has received TOW and HJ-8 anti-tank missiles. It is one of the members of the Daraa Military Council. The group is led by Captain Iyad Khaddour and Khalid Fathallah, the former of which became the overall commander of the Army of the Revolution.
Hasan ibn Ali BrigadeEdit
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2017)
Dawn of Islam DivisionEdit
The Dawn of Islam Division (Arabic: فرقة فجر الإسلام; transliteration: Firqat Fajr al-Islam) is a Syrian rebel group operating in the Uthman and Tafas districts of Daraa city as well as in Busra al-Harir in the north-east of Daraa Governorate. Formed in February 2013, the group is led by Lieutenant Colonel Mohammed Hassan Salama. It is a merger between the Dawn of Islam Brigade and a number of smaller rebel groups. The group also received BGM-71 TOW anti-tank missiles. On 13 April 2015, the Dawn of Islam Division joined a number of other Southern Front groups in renouncing all ties with the al-Nusra Front. On 3 June 2017, it joined the Army of the Revolution.
- "Syrian War Daily – 3rd of December 2017". 3 December 2017.
- @Syria_Rebel_Obs (5 December 2016). "INFOGRAPHIC EXCLUSIVE - Creation of the most powerful FSA - Southern Front faction : Jaysh al-Thawra" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "THE MODERATE REBELS: A GROWING LIST OF VETTED GROUPS FIELDING BGM-71 TOW ANTI-TANK GUIDED MISSILES". Hasan Mustafas. 5 August 2015.
- "The appointment of a new commander of the army (Mu'taz Billah)". All4Syria. 11 September 2017.
- "(Army of the Revolution) battalion commander mourns engineering in the countryside of the eastern shield". All4Syria. 17 June 2017.
- "The killing of a military commander in the army of Mu'taz Billah". Al Etihad Press. 6 May 2017.
- "Four factions constitute a "revolution army alliance" in the countryside of Daraa". Enab Baladi. 4 December 2016.
- "Is the Islamic State Establishing Itself in Qalamoun?". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. 22 December 2014. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Syrian rebels seize Jordan crossing from govt control: rebel, security source". Reuters. 1 April 2015. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Aron Lund (21 March 2014). "Does the "Southern Front" Exist?". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "العقيد "الدهني" تشكيل تحالف "صقور الجنوب" خطوة نحو توحيد فصائل حوران". Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "The integration of the unified front with Sham Yarmouk Army". RFS Media Office. 24 January 2016.
- "A MODERN HISTORY OF THE FREE SYRIAN ARMY IN DARAA" (PDF). Foreign Military Studies Office. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 January 2015. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Dawn of Islam Division on Facebook". Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- "Band (the dawn of Islam) to join the Alliance (Army of the Revolution)". All4Syria. 3 June 2017.