North-Eastern Federal University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Ammosov North-Eastern Federal University, NEFU, (in Russian: Северо-Восточный федеральный университет имени Максима Кировича Аммосова) previously known as Yakutsk State University (Якутский государственный университет имени Максима Кировича Аммосова), is the largest higher education institution in the Russian northeast and it is one of the ten federal universities of the nation. NEFU has four campuses with the main located in Siberia's Yakutsk and others in Chukotka's Anadyr, Mirny, and Neryungri.
Северо-Восточный Федеральный Университет им.М.К.Аммосова (СВФУ)
|Established||August 23, 1956 (Yakutsk State University was established)|
April 2, 2010 (North-Eastern Federal University)
|Rector||Evgenia Isaevna Mikhailova|
Campus building in August 2013
The official name is Ammosov North-Eastern Federal University Federal State Autonomous Educational Institution of Higher Education.
- The undergraduate student population numbers over 16,000.
- More than 500 students are engaged in postgraduate work.
- 1,600 academic staff are employed at the university. Of these 200 hold doctor’s degree, 800 are candidate of science degree.
- 15 institutes, 9 faculties, 3 university branches in Mirny, Nerungry and Chukotka, 5 major research institutes.
- 119 degree courses are available to students.
- The university occupies 9 buildings and 12 residence halls located mostly on the campus.
- 1 500,000 books, periodicals and other items are held in the library.
- The university has Geology Field Station, Museum of Archeology and Ethnography, Botanical garden and Orangery open to staff and students’ research and study.
- There is a stadium, swimming pool, and social centre.
- Students and staff have free access to the Ethernet and Wi-Fi in all university buildings and residence hall.
NEFU was officially established in April 2010 on the basis of Ammosov Yakutsk State University, the university with 75 years history.
The university holds the name of Maksim Kirovich Ammosov, an outstanding statesman of Soviet Yakutia, the son of the Sakha nation and one of the founders of Yakutia and Kyrgyzstan statehood.
Recent reforms in the Russian Federation created a new network of federal universities. This trend towards integration and modernization in higher university education is typical of many countries. As international experience shows, additional financial support from government promotes the high quality of education and higher performance in international rankings. The North-Eastern Federal University is to become a strategic center for the formation of a common cultural, scientific and educational space, based on the values of indigenous culture of the peoples of the northeast of Russia, providing quality personal education in a multiethnic environment.
The NEFU development program towards the year 2020 was approved by Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on October 7, 2010. The following priority areas were identified:
- the new quality of the university;
- efficient environmental management and environmental security;
- efficient use of mineral resources;
- the use of science-based technologies and production in the North;
- the quality of life in the north;
- the preservation and development of languages and cultures;
- the analytical and personnel support for innovative socio-economic development of the northeastern part of the Russian Federation.
In all areas of university activities large-scale transformations have been initiated, primarily to create a unified scientific and methodological foundation. A comprehensive plan for the transition to a two-level system of education, scientific and methodical aspects of basic educational programs has been developed, innovative Master’s programs are ready for implementation, and all education departments are being restructured.
- of Medicine
- of Finance and Economics
- of Mathematics and Computer Science
- of Physics and Technologies
- of Sports and Physical Education
- of Foreign Languages and Regional Studies
- of Psychology
- of Languages and Cultures of the Peoples of the Russian North-East
- Teacher Training
- of Civil Engineering
- of Natural Sciences
- of History
- of Philology
- of Law
- of Road Construction
- of Geology and Survey
- Faculty of Pre-Undergraduate Education offers preparatory courses to schoolchildren
- Nerungry Technical Institute (branch) of North-Eastern Federal University
- Mirny Polytechnic Institute (branch) of North-Eastern Federal University
- Chukotka branch of North-Eastern Federal University
There are five research institutions including:
- Institute of Mathematics,
- Health Institute,
- Institute of Applied Ecology of North with LAZAREV MAMMOTH museum and lab,
- Institute of Regional Economy of North,
- OLONKHO Institute,
- KULAKOVSKY Institute.
- Institute of Lifelong Professional Education
- Faculty of Pre-Undergraduate Education
58, Belinsky Street, Yakutsk
Sakha Republic (Yakutia), RUSSIAN FEDERATION, 677891
e-mail: email@example.com - International Office