XLVII Panzer Corps
XLVII Panzer Corps (also: 47th Panzer Corps or XXXXVII. Panzerkorps or XXXXVII Panzer Corps) was a panzer corps of the German Army in World War II that was formerly designated as XLVII Corps. Various formations of the corps fought in the French campaign of 1940, in the invasion of Soviet Union from 1941 to 1944, and on the Western Front from June 1944 until April 1945.
|XLVII Armee Corps (June-Nov.1940)|
XLVII Motorized Corps (Nov.1940-June 1942)
|Active||20 June - 1 July 1940|
25 November 1940 - 16 April 1945
|Engagements||World War II|
Heinrich Freiherr von Lüttwitz
The first formation of the XLVII Corps was on 20 June 1940, during the Campaign in France. This formation was shortly thereafter disbanded on 1 July 1940. The corps was formed again as a motorized corps on 25 November 1940 in Military Region XI. The new corps was initially stationed in Germany as part of Army Group C.
In May 1941, the corps was subordinated to Panzer Group 2 (later 2nd Panzer Army) and took part in the invasion of the Soviet Union, Operation Barbarossa, in 1941. On 21 June 1942, the corps was retitled XLVII Panzer Corps. The corps remained on the Russian front until March 1944, when it was stationed in France.
In 1944, the corps was transferred to the Western Front. The corps took part in the Mortain offensive, and attacked into the central Ardennes during the Battle of the Bulge. The corps was retitled Army Group Lüttwitz in January 1945. On 16 April, the corps surrendered with other German troops in the Ruhr Pocket to the U.S. Army.
Orders of BattleEdit
10 December 1940Edit
- 14th Infantry Division
- 19th Panzer Division
- 20th Panzer Division
- 4th Panzer Division
- 20th Infantry Division (Motorized)
22 June 1941Edit
- 29th Infantry Division (Motorized)
- 17th Panzer Division
- 18th Panzer Division
- 167th Infantry Division
16 September 1944Edit
15 December 1944Edit
- Corps Troops:
- 2nd Panzer Division
- Panzer Lehr Division
- 26th Volksgrenadier Division
- Georg Tessin, "Generalkommando XLVII. Panzerkorps", from CDROM published by VMD as Organisationsgeschichte der deutschen Wehrmacht
- Mitcham 2006, p. 266.
- Harrison 1951, p. 235.
- Cole 1965, p. 613.
- MacDonald 1973, p. 370.
- Niehorster, Dr. Leo. "XXXXVII Corps (motorized) Order of Battle". Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Nafziger, George. "German Army, Battle of the Bulge, 15 December 1944" (PDF). Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Cole, Hugh M. The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge (Publication 7-8). Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- Harrison, Gordon A. The Cross Channel Attack (Publication 7-4). Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- MacDonald, Charles B. The Last Offensive (Publication 7-9). Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- Mitcham, Samuel W. (2006). The Panzer Legions: A Guide to the German Army Tank Divisions of World War II and Their Commanders. Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania: Stackpole Books. ISBN 0-811733-53-X.
- Nafziger, George. "German Army, Battle of the Bulge, 15 December 1944" (PDF). Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library. US Army Combined Arms Center. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Niehorster, Dr. Leo. "XXXXVII Corps (motorized) Order of Battle". World War II Armed Forces — Orders of Battle and Organizations. Retrieved 6 July 2016.