Saanich people(Redirected from WSANEC)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Saanich or W̱SÁNEĆ ([/xʷˈsenət͡ʃ], Xwsenəč) are indigenous nations from the north coast of the Gulf and San Juan Islands, southern Vancouver Island and the southern edge of the Lower Mainland in British Columbia.
|Regions with significant populations|
|Canada||( British Columbia)|
|United States||( Washington)|
|Related ethnic groups|
Four of the Saanich first nations, Tsartlip, Pauquachin, Tseycum and Tsawout, created the ȽÁU,WELṈEW̱ Tribal School in 1989. It holds classes from preschool to grade 10, with classes for adults in the adult centre next door to the high school where SENĆOŦEN, the W̱SÁNEĆ language and W̱SÁNEĆ culture are taught along with the provincial curriculum. The school is also a venue for community events.
- Bill, Adriane; Cayou, Roxanne; & Jim, Jacqueline. (2003). NET'̸'E NEḰA'̸' SḴELÁLṈEW'̲' [One green tree]. Victoria, B.C.: First Peoples’ Cultural Foundation & L̵ÁU,WELṈEW̲ Tribal School. ISBN 1-4120-0626-0.
- Mithun, Marianne. (1999). The languages of Native North America. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-23228-7 (hbk); ISBN 0-521-29875-X.
- Montler, Timothy. (1996). Languages and dialects in Straits Salishan. Proceedings of the International Conference on Salish and Neighboring Languages, 31, 249-256.
- Montler, Timothy. (1999). Language and dialect variation in Straits Salishan. Anthropological linguistics, 41 (4), 462-502.
- YELḰÁTT̵E [Claxton, Earl, Sr.]; & STOLC̸EL̵ [Elliot, John, Sr.]. (1994). Reef Net Technology of the Saltwater People. Brentwood Bay, B.C.: Saanich Indian School Board.
- An Outline of the Morphology and Phonology of Saanich, North Straits Salish (Timothy Montler's site)
- Saanich Classified Word List (Timothy Montler's site)
- SENĆOŦEN (Saanich, Northern Straits Salish) (Chris Harvey's Native Language, Font & Keyboard)
- Saanich Indian School Board
- SENĆOŦEN Welcome page (First Voices)
- ȽÁU,WELṈEW̱ Tribal School
|This article relating to the Indigenous peoples of the Americas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|