This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018)
WRCN-FM (103.9 FM) is a radio station broadcasting a News/Talk radio format, licensed to Riverhead, New York and serving eastern Long Island. The station is owned by JVC Media LLC with studios located inside of Long Island MacArthur Airport in Ronkonkoma, New York and transmitter located in Manorville, New York.
|City||Riverhead, New York|
|Broadcast area||Eastern Long Island|
|Branding||LI News Radio|
|Owner||JVC Media LLC |
(JVC Media LLC, a Florida LLC Company)
First air date
|August 14, 1962|
Former call signs
|HAAT||148 meters (486 ft)|
Public license information
The station first went on the air in 1962 as WAPC-FM. In 1967 the call letters were changed to WHRF-FM, and in 1972 to the current WRCN-FM. In 1978, WRCN changed from a top 40 format to what was then known as album-oriented rock (now known as classic rock). Some of the air–staff that have worked at the station over the years include, Zena Black, Bob Buchmann, Marc Coppola, John Loscalzo, Tim Sheehan, Dee Snider, and Chaz & AJ.
On November 15, 2013 at 5pm, WRCN-FM's rock format came to an abrupt end as the station temporarily changed formats to Christmas music. The station, going by the temporary name of "Christmas 103.9" then flipped to Conservative News/Talk as "LI NewsRadio 103.9" on December 26, 2013.
- 1962 Broadcasting Yearbook, p. B-126
- "Call Sign History". CDBS Public Access Database. FCC Media Bureau. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- "New Radio Station Begins Testing Operation in Riverhead" (PDF). Long Island Traveler - Mattituck Watchman. Southold New York. September 6, 1962. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
- "CALL LETTER APPLICATIONS" (PDF). Broadcasting. February 6, 1967. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- "Call letter applications" (PDF). Broadcasting. April 24, 1972. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- Merrill, Kitty (March 23, 2016). "Doors Opened & She WALKed Through". The Independent. p. 4. Retrieved May 3, 2021.
- "10 Questions with ... Bob Buchmann". allaccess.com. February 13, 2018. Retrieved September 9, 2018.
- Aswad, Jem. "John Loscalzo, Vet Of CBS, MTV and K-Rock, Dies At 52". Billboard. Retrieved May 3, 2021.
- "Sheehan Leaps To WRCN/LI PD Post" (PDF). R&R. October 20, 1995. Retrieved May 3, 2021.
- Fybush, Scott (February 3, 2003). "Smith, Barber End 18 Years at WPLR". NorthEast Radio Watch. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- Venta, Lance (August 27, 2012). "WRCN Shifts To Everything That Rocks". RadioInsight. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- Venta, Lance (December 26, 2013). "WRCN Launches LI News Radio". RadioInsight. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
- Official website
- WRCN in the FCC FM station database
- WRCN on Radio-Locator
- WRCN in Nielsen Audio's FM station database