This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008)
Bellavista is an indie rock/shoegaze band from San Francisco, California. The current lineup includes guitarist/vocalist Rex John Shelverton, bassist Jeremy Bringetto, and drummer Cary LaScala. Shelverton is also known for being a co-founder of the band/duo Tamaryn.
|Origin||San Francisco, California|
|Genres||Indie rock, psychedelic rock, shoegaze, new romantic|
|Labels||Take Root Records|
|Members||Rex Shelverton |
|Past members||Matthew Bajda |
Shelverton, Bringetto and Bajda were childhood friends who grew up around Half Moon Bay in Northern California.
All three, along with Jonah Buffa, were originally members of the influential 1990s hardcore punk band Portraits of Past, who helped pioneer the sound that would later become known as screamo. Portraits of Past reformed in 2008, but quickly broke up again in 2009.
Shelverton, Bringetto and Buffa were next in the post-punk band The Audience, who released the 1997 Das Audience album on Hymnal Sound and the "Young Soul" 7" single on Gold Standard Laboratories.
Their next band, Vue, formed in 1999 in San Francisco and included Shelverton, Bringetto, Buffa and final drummer Cary LaScala. Vue released three albums: Vue (2000, Sub Pop), Find Your Home (2001, Sub Pop) and Down for Whatever (2003, RCA). They also released the Babies Are for Petting EP on RCA in 2003. Between 2001 and 2004, Vue performed with The Rolling Stones, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Franz Ferdinand, The Faint and Trail Of Dead. Vue disbanded at the end of 2004.
Shelverton, Bringetto and LaScala then formed Bellavista, and released their eponymous debut LP on April 24, 2007 on Take Root Records. From 2008 to 2017, LaScala was replaced by Bajda. In 2017, Bajda left to focus on his art and LaScala rejoined the band.
Bellavista's single, "Always Oneness" backed by "Under the Walls", was released on November 6, 2012 as a vinyl 7" with download card, at first available only at Tamaryn's tour merchandise table.
- Rex Shelverton – guitar, vocals
- Jeremy Bringetto – bass
- Cary LaScala – drums
- Bellavista (2007, Take Root Records; 2008, KNTRST)
- "Always Oneness" / "Under the Walls" 7"/digital (2012, self-released)
- http://portraitsofpast.com Portraits Of Past
- Lazy-i Interview: May 2003
- "CD REVIEWS: By Divine Right, Garbage, Machine Head and many more". Chart Attack, October 02, 2001
- "Side One: Track One - April 2007". Sideonetrackone.com. 2007-04-12. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- Maerz, Jennifer (2007-04-18). "Bellavista: Back in Vue | Let's Get Killed | San Francisco | San Francisco News and Events". SF Weekly. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- Bellavista on Facebook
- Official Site
- Bellavista on YouTube
- Bellavista on Soundcloud
- Cary LaScala's Drumming Resume