Vintage TV (Canada)
Vintage TV was a Canadian English language exempt Category B specialty channel broadcasting music-related programming, including music videos, concerts, interviews, and more from an array of genres including rock, pop, country, soul, R&B, blues, folk, and more, primarily dating from the 1940s to 1990s. Its name and majority of programming are licensed from the U.K.-based television channel, Vintage TV. The channel is owned by Vintage Entertainment Canada Limited, a consortium owned by Nathalia Browning Ribeiro, Koa Padolsky, Blue Wolverine Media and Arts Ltd., and Brain Dead Dog Productions Inc. all owning a 16.75% interest in the service, and Vintage Entertainment Limited, the parent company of the UK channel, owning a 33% interest.
|Launched||October 20, 2016|
|Owned by||Vintage Entertainment Canada Limited|
|Picture format||480i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Slogan||Vintage Music All Day Long|
The channel launched in standard definition on October 20, 2016, on Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct in Canada, despite being previously listed on the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's (CRTC) website for launched exempted television services. The channel achieved wider coverage in June 2017, when it was added to Rogers Cable lineup.
After passing the 200,000 subscribers mark, Vintage TV was granted a CRTC broadcast licence on January 23, 2018.
In August 2018, The UK channel was shut down after being dropped by all UK service providers. This meant that the Canadian channel lost its only source to new programming.
Without warning, on September 29th, 2018, the channel dropped all programming and became a de facto 24-hour infomercial for Sessions X, an on-demand video service, continually repeating the same programming and single commercial block which first aired on that day. In October 2018, the UK channel went into administration.
In November 2018 without warning, the channel stopped broadcasting. A Shaw-generated graphic has been shown in the channel's space on Shaw Cable & Direct. As of February 2019, Shaw's program guide has shown 'No Data'.
- Music channel Vintage TV Canada launches, Cartt.ca, 10-20-16
- Vintage TV Canada to launch autumn 2016 Shaw Newsroom press release, 10-20-17
- Radio, TV and Cable Broadcasting Services that do and do not need a licence CRTC
- Music Channel Vintage TV Debuts on Rogers Cable, Giving It Coast-to-Coast Coverage in Canada AJournalofMusicalThings.com 06-07-17
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-26, CRTC, 01-23-18
- [https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/11/vintage-tv-gone-7826541/, Where has Vintage TV gone?
- [https://community.shaw.ca/thread/42806, What's up with Vintage TV?? or lack thereof | Shaw Support
- [https://www.a516digital.com/2018/10/vintage-tv-in-administration.html, Vintage TV in administration
- [https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-television-industry-channels-providers/286059-what-happened-vintage-tv.html, What happened to Vintage TV? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theater Forums
|This article about television in Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|