- Henri Poincaré University (UHP, also known as Nancy 1): natural sciences, wrapping several faculties and engineering schools
- École Supérieure des Sciences et Technologies de l'Ingénieur de Nancy: general engineering
- Telecom Nancy: Computer science and engineering
- Nancy 2 University: social sciences
- Institut national polytechnique de Lorraine (Lorraine INP): It federates 11 engineering schools.
With over 50,000 students, Nancy has the fifth largest student population in France.
Nancy-Université has several academic libraries. The academic library of Nancy 2 University, opened by French president Albert Lebrun, contains around 500 000 documents, among which at least 250 000 are books, in 35 locations.
The original University of Nancy was founded in 1572 in the nearby city of Pont-à-Mousson by Charles III, duke of Lorraine, and Charles, Cardinal of Lorraine, and transferred to Nancy in 1768. It was closed by the revolutionaries in 1793, and reopened in 1864.