Under-five(Redirected from Under-Five)
An under-five role falls between an extra (a nonspeaking role) and a day player (a full part). Per SAG-AFTRA, for an under-five the total number of words in the five lines or less must be below 50. Exceeding this reclassifies the role as a full part, which constitutes a substantial rise in pay. An extra may be upgraded to under-five status if they interact with principals or are given direction in a way that furthers the plot.
Prior to the 2012 merger of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA), actors performing as under-fives as members of AFTRA became eligible for SAG membership after one year. Post merger, actors performing with an under-five contract operate as members of the consolidated union.
Through November 16, 2016, the minimum pay rate for an under-five actor on a soap opera is $451 for a one-hour show, and $369 for a 1⁄2-hour show. By comparison, the minimum pay rate for a principal on a soap opera is $1,038 for a one-hour show, and $778 for a 1⁄2-hour show. The pay rate for a background actor on a soap opera is $150 for a 1-hour show, and $115 for a 1⁄2-hour show.
An under-five role can be a stepping stone to bigger roles. However, with the general decline of American soap operas, the number of under-fives, extras, and even day players employed has declined, due to reductions of production budgets.
- Cummings, Betsy (July 25, 2004). "HOME FRONT; Bit Parts on Screen, and a Salary to Match". The New York Times. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Speaking of soap operas By Robert Clyde Allen. Books.google.com. 1985-04-30. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- Added by Double 19 Productions on May 19, 2009 at 1:01am (2009-05-19). "Resume Billing Double 19 Productions May 19, 2009". Double19productions.com. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- Lenhart, Jennifer. "As The World Turns Interview: Patrick Stephenson". Soap Opera Digest. Archived from the original on January 30, 2009. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- Ciaccia, Maria (January 30, 2009). "On the Scene at General Hospital". Generalhospital.about.com. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- "When An Actor Should Join A Union". Actorschecklist.com. December 1, 2007. Archived from the original on February 13, 2015. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- "SAG-AFTRA Network TV Code" (PDF). SAG-AFTRA. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- Kanner, Bernice (August 16, 1993). SOAP STAR FOR A DAY. New York. Retrieved April 30, 2016.