Tubelight is a 2017 Indian war drama film written and directed by Kabir Khan. The film is produced by Salman Khan and Kabir Khan. Set in the 1962 Sino-Indian War, it stars Salman Khan, Sohail Khan, Zhu Zhu, Matin Rey Tangu and Om Puri. Shah Rukh Khan appears in a cameo in the film. Julius Packiam and Pritam scored the music of the film, with the former composing the film score and latter composing the songs. It is an adaptation of the 2015 American film Little Boy.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Kabir Khan|
|Produced by||Salman Khan
|Written by||Kabir Khan|
|Story by||Kabir Khan|
|Based on||Little Boy
by Alejandro Gómez Monteverde
Matin Rey Tangu
Shah Rukh Khan
Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub
|Edited by||Rameshwar S. Bhagat|
|Box office||₹211.14 crore|
Laxman Singh Bisht (Salman Khan) is an odd child, bullied by Narayan (Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub) and his friends, who call him "Tubelight", although defended by his brother Bharat (Sohail Khan). Gandhi visits the school and teaches the children about faith, courage and belief. India becomes independent of British rule, and Gandhi is assassinated. Laxman and Bharat's parents pass away, so they become even closer as they grow up.
When the Chinese suddenly attack the Indian border, the Indian Army begin to recruit, so all the boys try to join up, but only Bharat is selected. As the new soldiers reach the border, full war between India and China breaks out.
Laxman meets the magician, Gogo Pasha (Shah Rukh Khan) who chooses him to test his faith by trying to move a bottle. After several attempts he succeeds despite Narayan teasing him. Laxman tries again with Banne Chacha (Om Puri) but fails; Banne says "Faith moves a mountain" and explains how Laxman will find his faith.
Laxman observes a Chinese woman "Le Leing" (Zhu Zhu) and a boy "Gu Won" (Matin Rey Tangu). Banne Chacha gets angry when Laxman tries to inform the authorities, and advises him to follow the wisdom of Gandhi, and befriend the woman and boy. After some attempts, Laxman finally succeeds. When Bharat and soldiers try to escape but get captured, Laxman becomes heartbroken, but Leing consoles him and encourages his faith. Narayan tries to attack Gu but Laxman saves him. Narayan attempts to convince Laxman not to befriend Chinese people or he will lose Bharat forever, but Leing tells Narayan that she and Gu are not only Chinese but Indians too. As Laxman tries to explain to Narayan everything he learned from Gandhi, Narayan challenges him to move a mountain; Laxman succeeds and causes an earthquake.
He learns that 264 soldiers have been killed, so he tries again; it appears that he has succeeded as he hears that the border dispute between India and China is resolving. As the friends celebrate the end of the war, Leing's lost father returns. After learning that fighting still continues in some areas and Bharat has been killed, Laxman is griefstricken believing that people were right about him all along. Leing and Gu comfort him as they bid farewell to return to Calcutta. Gu, Leing and Laxman receive the news that Bharat is still alive but has lost his memory. Laxman is reunited at medical camp with his brother, who regains his memories.
- Salman Khan as Laxman Singh Bisht a.k.a. Tubelight
- Sohail Khan as Bharat Singh Bisht
- Om Puri as Banne Chacha
- Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub as Narayan
- Yashpal Sharma as Major Rajbir Tokas
- Matin Rey Tangu as Gu Won (Gu)
- Zhu Zhu as Li Leing (Gu's mother)
- Brijendra Kala as Shopkeeper
- Isha Talwar as Maya
- Shah Rukh Khan as Magician Gogo Pasha (Cameo Appearance)
The director obtained a no objection certificate from the makers of the Kannada film Tubelight. The first schedule of filming started in July 2016 in Ladakh. Chinese actress Zhu Zhu was finalised for the leading role, and she commenced shooting from 8 August 2016. The first schedule lasted for a month and was completed in mid-August 2016.
Subhash K. Jha rated the film 3.5/5, describing the film as "a film with a deep insight into a corrupted soul." DNA rated the film 3.5/5 and wrote "Tubelight is about love, trust, magic and belief. It's like a tonic for weary souls. You will find yourself interacting with the film and characters." India.com rated the film 3.5/5 and stated "Watch it if you are a Salman Khan fan. Watch it if you aren’t but want to see Salman Khan do some serious acting." Tushar Joshi from Bollywood Life also rated it 3.5/5, writing "Tubelight has a beautiful message of having faith and believing in the good. Salman Khan's sincere and heartfelt performance in the film will definitely move you." Bollywood Bhaskar rated it 3/5, writing "If you are big fan of Salman Khan, you can definitely see it once." Rohit Vats from Hindustan Times rated it 3/5, and wrote "It’s been a while since Salman Khan started playing a clumsy yet golden hearted man-child. He has aced this game by now and Tubelight might be his best shot at it." Meena Iyer of The Times of India rated the film 3/5 on grounds of values of family and strong bonding between brothers. Harsha R Gatty of Daijiworld rated 6.5/10 stars, saying "Salman Khan-starrer 'Bromance' is watchable emotional entertainer". "
Manjusha Radhakrishnan of Gulf News rated 2.5/5 stars, saying "one of those films that shamelessly attempt to emotionally manipulate viewers into being sentimental wrecks." Arti Dani of Khaleej Times commented, "good intentions but hardly any plot," but noted, "The best part about the movie was the bonding between Sohail and Salman." Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express rated only 1.5/5, saying "The message is perfect, but when the main act isn't convincing, the film becomes just like the title: mostly flicker with a little late glow." Raja Sen of NDTV commented while rating only 1/5, "Poor little superstar who doesn't know better, the film is rendered unwatchable because of the leading man."
The film grossed ₹20.55 crore (US$3.1 million) on day 1 and became the 16th biggest domestic opener. Overall the film under performed at the box office, although it had grossed ₹200 crore (US$31 million) worldwide at the end of 10 days with ₹152 crore (US$23 million) collecting from India itself.
The film's final gross stands at ₹211.14 crore (US$32 million) worldwide, including ₹165.64 crore (US$25 million) in India and ₹45.5 crore (US$7.0 million) overseas. The film met with a loss of ₹85 crore (US$13 million), and Salman Khan decided to refund ₹33.5 crore (US$5.1 million), 40% of the losses incurred to the affected people.
|Soundtrack album by Pritam|
|Released||23 June 2017|
|Genre||Feature film Soundtrack|
The music of the film is composed by Pritam while the lyrics have been penned by Amitabh Bhattacharya and Kausar Munir. Its first song "Radio" sung by Kamaal Khan and Amit Mishra was released on 16 May 2017. The second song "Naach Meri Jaan" sung by Kamaal Khan, Dev Negi, Nakash Aziz and Tushar Joshi was released on 1 June 2017. The song titled "Tinka Tinka Dil Mera" voiced by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan was released on 9 June 2017. The fourth single to be released was "Main Agar" sung by Atif Aslam on 15 June 2017. The soundtrack consists of 10 tracks and was released by Sony Music India on 23 June 2017.
All music composed by Pritam.
|1.||"Radio"||Amitabh Bhattacharya||Kamaal Khan, Amit Mishra||4:40|
|2.||"Naach Meri Jaan"||Amitabh Bhattacharya||Kamaal Khan, Nakash Aziz, Dev Negi, Tushar Joshi||4:47|
|3.||"Tinka Tinka Dil Mera"||Kausar Munir||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||5:03|
|4.||"Main Agar"||Amitabh Bhattacharya||Atif Aslam||4:39|
|5.||"Kuch Nahi"||Kausar Munir||Javed Ali||3:41|
|6.||"Tinka Tinka Dil Mera" (Film Version)||Kausar Munir||Jubin Nautiyal||5:06|
|7.||"Kuch Nahi" (Reprise)||Kausar Munir||Shafqat Amanat Ali||3:41|
|8.||"Main Agar" (Film Version)||Amitabh Bhattacharya||KK||3:28|
|9.||"Kuch Nahi" (Encore)||Kausar Munir||Papon||3:33|
|10.||"Radio" (Film Version)||Amitabh Bhattacharya||Kamaal Khan, Amit Mishra||4:40|
- Subhash K. Jha (8 May 2017). "Kabir Khan ADMITS 'Tubelight' is adapted from 'Little Boy'". DNA India.
- "Salman Khan's Tubelight is remake of Jakob Salvati's Little Boy, director Kabir Khan confirms". Firstpost. 8 May 2017.
- "Tubelight Based on Hollywood Film Little Boy; Salman Khan Plays a 'Gifted' Character". CNN-News18. 5 May 2017.
- "Tubelight (@TubelightKiEid) - Twitter". Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Tubelight". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "Box Office: Tubelight Vs Jab Harry Met Sejal – Which movie grossed more worldwide?". Bollywood Hungama. 25 August 2017.
- TUBELIGHT | British Board of Film Classification
- Sarkar, Prarthna (1 July 2016). "Revealed: Interesting details about Salman Khan's 'Tubelight'". IB Times India. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- "Here's why Salman Khan's character is called 'Tubelight' in Kabir Khan's next". Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- Tubelight: Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan are Karan-Arjun once more on Kabir Khan’s sets, see pic. The Indian Express. Retrieved on 4 April 2017.
- "Tubelight: Pritam comes on board for the Salman Khan – Kabir Khan film". Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- "Om Puri no more: THIS will be the veteran actor's last Bollywood film! Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- "Salman Khan's Tubelight to be Om Puri's last film, Kabir Khan says will miss his warm hugs The Indian Express". The Indian Express. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- "Tubelight's entry into B-Town – Bangalore Mirror". Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- Kotwani, Hiren (29 July 2016). "Sohail Khan: "I am only doing 'Tubelight' so that I can be around Kabir and Salman bhai"". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Salman Khan's Tubelight heroine is Zhu Zhu. And she is a star".
- "A Chinese Heroine For Salman in His Upcoming Film 'Tubelight'?". Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Salman Khan's Tubelight heroine to begin shooting from August 8- read EXCLUSIVE details!". Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Salman Khan's Tubelight wraps shoot in Ladakh, gives him time to sightsee". Hindustan Times. Mumbai. PTI. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- Tubelight Movie Review: Tubelight exudes the spirit of a heightened humanism!
- Tubelight' Review: Salman Khan delivers a sentimental kick straight to the heart
- Tubelight movie review: Salman Khan as Laxman will make you laugh, cry and fall in love with him
- Tubelight movie review: Salman Khan’s innocent charm uplifts this heartwarming sibling drama
- Movie Review: The story of the man who came out to find brother
- Tubelight movie review: Salman Khan’s film delivers an important message
- Meena Iyer (23 June 2017). "Tubelight Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- Harsha R Gatty (22 June 2017). "'Tubelight' movie review: Salman Khan-starrer 'Bromance' is watchable emotional entertainer". Daijiworld. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Manjusha Radhakrishnan (22 June 2017). "'Tubelight' film review: Not so bright". Gulf News. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Arti Dani (22 June 2017). "'Tubelight' movie review: Kabir Khan loses the plot". Khaleej Times. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Shubhra Gupta (23 June 2017). "Tubelight movie review: Salman Khan film flickers a lot, offers little glow". The Indian Express. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- Raja Sen (23 June 2017). "Tubelight Movie Review: Salman Khan Is The Worst Thing About Tubelight". NDTV. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Top India First day all time". Box Office India. 3 July 2017. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Tubelight At 200 Crore Worldwide After Ten Days". Box Office India. 3 July 2017. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "REVEALED: This is how Salman Khan arrived at the refund figure of Rs. 33.5 cr. for Tubelight". Bollywood Hungama. 12 August 2017. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "Tubelight (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Pritam". 23 June 2017. Retrieved 23 June 2017 – via iTunes.
- "Pritam to recreate 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' magic once again with Salman Khan's 'Tubelight' -". 4 August 2016. Retrieved 8 August 2016.