Spider Bags is an alternative rock band from Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The band was founded by Daniel McGee and Gregg Levy in 2006 after McGee's old band, the DC Snipers, broke up. Titus Andronicus frontman Patrick Stickles has described Spider Bags as "America’s most underrated band". Their debut album, A Celebration of Hunger, was recorded over a two-day period in February 2005 in Chapel Hill, and was released in 2007. The lineup on this album included not only McGee and Levy, but also a number of other musicians McGee knew from both North Carolina and New Jersey. Soon afterward, the New Jersey-born McGee moved to the Research Triangle area near Chapel Hill, and Levy followed suit shortly thereafter. The Spider Bags' lineup changed numerous times between the release of A Celebration of Hunger in 2007 and that its follow up, Goodbye Cruel World, Hello Crueler World, in 2009. Specifically, all the members other than McGee and Levy quit the band. For the band's third album, 2012's Shake My Head, the lineup included McGee and Levy, as well as Rock Forbes and Steve Oliva. Shortly after Shake My Head was released, Levy moved back to New Jersey, marking his departure from the band's lineup and reducing it to a trio. It was this trio that performed on the band's fourth album, Frozen Letter, which was released on Merge Records in 2014. Levy later rejoined the band for the recording of Someday Everything Will Be Fine, which was released in 2018.
|Origin||Chapel Hill, North Carolina|
- "Spider Bags". Merge Records. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- Mosurock, Doug (2014-07-27). "First Listen: Spider Bags, 'Frozen Letter'". NPR. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- Deming, Mark. "Spider Bags Biography & History". AllMusic. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- Stickles, Patrick (2019-12-12). "How Spider Bags Made a Lost Classic". The Ringer. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- Howe, Brian (2012-08-08). "Spider Bags invite their friends over and make their best record yet". Indy Week. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
|This article on a United States rock music band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|