The Sonata is a 2018 mystery thriller film, directed by Andrew Desmond, from a screenplay by Desmond and Arthur Morin. It stars Freya Tingley, Simon Abkarian, James Faulkner, Rutger Hauer, Matt Barber and James Kermack. It was released in the United States on January 10, 2020, by Screen Media Films. It grossed $146,595 at the box office and received mixed reviews from critics.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Andrew Desmond|
|Music by||Alexis Maingaud|
|Edited by||J.P. Ferré|
|Distributed by||Screen Media Films|
- Freya Tingley as Rose Fisher
- Simon Abkarian as Charles Vernais
- James Faulkner as Sir Victor Ferdinand
- Rutger Hauer as Richard Marlowe
- Matt Barber as James
- Catherine Schaub-Abkarain as Thérèse
- Christopher Brand as The Notary
- James Kermack as The Sound Engineer
- Myster Jo as Tobacco Shop Owner
- Laine Ligere Stengrévica as Meredith
- Aurélija Pronina as Ghost Child #1
- Andrejs Zikovs as Ghost Child #2
- Maija Cipste as Ghost Child #3
- Artüra Ghoss as Ghost Child #4
- Jurijs Krüze as Taxi Driver
- Janis Libietis as Customer 1
- Atis Afréds Brasmanis as Customer 2
- Olga Svecova as Bar Waitress
- Aleksandrs Mihailovs as Barman
- Alina Vasijeva as Rose Violin Double
The Sonata was released in Russia by Screen Media Films on November 15, 2018 and in the United States on January 10, 2020.
On Metacritic , the film has a weighted average score of 41 out of 100, based on 8 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 48% based on 21 reviews, with an average rating of 5.43/10.
- "The Sonata". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- "Shoot, cast set for Euro supernatural-thriller 'The Sonata' (exclusive)". Screendaily. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "'The Sonata' Is a Baffling, Lurid Satanic Ghost Story". Observer. 2020-01-10. Retrieved 2020-02-29.
- Catsoulis, Jeannette (2020-01-09). "'The Sonata' Review: A Little Fright Music". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-02-29.
- "Horror Film 'The Sonata' Is Tuneless And Off-Key". NPR.org. Retrieved 2020-02-29.
- "The Sonata". Metacritic. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "THE SONATA". rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2020-03-30.