This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
TVShowsOnDVD.com was a website dedicated to cataloging, campaigning for, and reporting news about Region 1 television series releases on DVD and region A Blu-ray. The site's slogan asked "Is YOUR Favorite Show On DVD?"
Type of site
|Launched||November 1, 2001|
From February 2007 until its closing, the site was affiliated with TV Guide. In March 2013, TVGuide.com was acquired by CBS Interactive, transferring control of TVShowsOnDVD.com to the new owners.
On May 25, 2018, the website was shut down, and news updates were moved to social media.
The site began on November 1, 2001 and was expanded to accept votes from registered members for over 10,000 television shows throughout TV history. The site contained information on over 8000 TV-DVD releases—including full season, best of, and individual episode releases. The site also posted thousands of news articles relating to upcoming releases, reviews of TV-DVDs that were currently on the market, and sometimes a list of alterations (such as use of syndicated episode versions and music replacement) to various TV-DVDs.
Users could create accounts to vote for which TV shows they would like to have seen on DVD and compile lists of the sets they owned and wanted. In early November 2005 the site received over 75,000 visitors a day and had official links with many major studios. The site also maintained an RSS feed, a blog, a presence on Twitter and a Facebook fan page. At their Facebook fan page they also maintain a "What's The Hold-up? FAQ", describing known reasons why particular shows are not currently receiving DVD releases.
Home Theater ForumEdit
The site was very closely linked to Home Theater Forum. The founder of TVShowsOnDVD.com, Gord Lacey, and the site's news director, David Lambert, are both regularly posting members at the "HTF" and were registered there prior to the creation the site they worked at. The HTF's "TV on DVD and Blu-ray: Shows and TV Movies" section remained the official message board of TVShowsOnDVD.com.
- Lacey, Gord (2007-02-15). "An Important Note From Gord". Archived from the original on 2013-05-16.
- "CBS Acquires 50% Stake in Former TV Guide Network". New York Times. 26 March 2013. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- Gord Lacey (25 May 2018). "Goodbye". TV Shows on DVD. Archived from the original on 24 May 2018. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- Lacey, Gord (1 November 2005). "November 1, 2001 - November 1, 2005: We're 4!". Archived from the original on 7 March 2006.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- TVShowsOnDVD at Twitter.com
- TVShowsOnDVD at Facebook.com
- Lambert, David (2009-09-04). "TVShowsOnDVD.com: The "What's The Hold-up?" FAQ".
- Home Theater Forum