Neil Stephen Cicierega (// SISS-i-REE-gə; born August 23, 1986) is an American Internet artist, comedian, actor, filmmaker, singer, musician, puppeteer, and animator. He is the creator of the genre of Flash animation known as "Animutation", has released several albums as a musician under the name Lemon Demon and has released a series of mashup albums under his own name.
Neil Cicierega speaking at XOXO in September 2016
Neil Stephen Cicierega
August 23, 1986
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
|Occupation||Internet artist, comedian, actor, filmmaker, singer, musician, puppeteer, animator|
|Known for||Animutation, Lemon Demon, Potter Puppet Pals, mashup albums|
Cicierega was born in Boston, Massachusetts. Cicierega's father was a programmer, so Cicierega was surrounded by computers growing up. At a young age, Cicierega began using a program named Klik & Play, a simplistic game developing program. By the fourth grade, Cicierega's parents began homeschooling him along with his brother and sister. Cicierega continued making amateur games and even began creating digital music to feature in his games. Soon, Cicierega began sharing his music on the Internet through the music sharing website MP3.com under the name Trapezzoid.
Cicierega was first known for a series of dadaist or surrealist Flash animations he termed "Animutation". Animutations feature arbitrary, nonsensical scenes and pop culture imagery and are typically set to novelty or foreign music, often from the Japanese version of Pokémon.
Potter Puppet PalsEdit
Cicierega's Potter Puppet Pals is a comedy series which parodies Harry Potter. It originated as a pair of Flash animations on Newgrounds in 2003, and later resurfaced in the form of a series of live action puppet shows released onto YouTube and PotterPuppetPals.com, starting in 2006. The central characters of the Harry Potter series are portrayed simply by puppets. The most successful Potter Puppet Pals video, The Mysterious Ticking Noise, currently has over 188 million views (as of September 2019[update]). Cicierega has done puppetry live at Harry Potter-themed events.
Since 2003, Cicierega has released 9 full-length albums under his musical project Lemon Demon. In 2005, he and animator Shawn Vulliez released a Flash animated music video "Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" on Newgrounds. The song was later included in the 2006 album Dinosaurchestra. An updated recording of the song was released to the Rock Band Network in 2010.
In April 2009, Cicierega released his first four albums as free downloads on his site "neilcic.com", however they are now currently hosted on "lemondemon.com".
In January 2016, Cicierega announced Spirit Phone, a full-length Lemon Demon album released on February 29, 2016. On July 10, 2018, it was announced that copies of the album on CD, cassette tape and vinyl would be sold through Needlejuice Records, who would later distribute remastered versions of Lemon Demon's Christmas EP I Am Become Christmas, as well as Nature Tapes.
Cicierega has also created mashup music under his own name. He released two mashup albums, Mouth Sounds and Mouth Silence, as free downloads in 2014, and a third, Mouth Moods, in 2017. Songs used in these mashups repeatedly include Smash Mouth's "All Star", Barenaked Ladies's "One Week", or in the case of Mouth Silence, Third Eye Blind's "Semi Charmed Life".
Windows 95 Tips, Tricks, and TweaksEdit
Cicierega created the darkly satirical "Windows 95 Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks" blog, located at http://windows95tips.com. In the blog's telling, Windows 95 is a brooding, evil presence bent on dominating humanity. Most of the posts are faked error messages, with disturbing messages like "Windows needs a lock of your hair to continue," but presented in the exact graphical style of Windows 95. The blog has received favorable press attention.
On August 8, 2015, Cicierega married illustrator Ming Doyle. They currently live in Somerville, Massachusetts. On December 31, 2018, the couple announced on Twitter that they had a daughter named Darcy in March of that year. Cicierega has a younger sister named Emmy, a storyboard artist who notably worked on the Disney animated series Gravity Falls. She is currently working on DuckTales.
- Outsmart (2000)
- Microwave This CD (2001)
- Dimes (2002)
- Circa 2000 (2007)
as Lemon DemonEdit
- Clown Circus (2003)
- Live From The Haunted Candle Shop (2003)
- Hip to the Javabean (2004)
- Damn Skippy (2005)
- Dinosaurchestra (2006)
- View-Monster (2008)
- Almanac 2009 (2009)
- Live (Only Not) (2011)
- I Am Become Christmas EP (2012)
- Nature Tapes EP (2014)
- Spirit Phone (2016)
as Neil CicieregaEdit
- Jarboe, Greg (October 7, 2011). YouTube and Video Marketing: An Hour a Day. John Wiley & Sons. p. 139. ISBN 9781118203811.
- "Neil Cicierega". IMDb.
- "Neil Cicierega, Internet Person – XOXO Festival (2016)". XOXO Festival. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Mieszkowski, Katharine; Standen, Amy (April 26, 2001). "All hail Neil Cicierega". Salon. Archived from the original on July 4, 2018. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- Cicierega, Neil (March 23, 2007). "Potter Puppet Pals: The Mysterious Ticking Noise". Retrieved January 11, 2019 – via YouTube.
- Emily Sweeney (June 22, 2006). "He's a hit with Internet set". Boston Globe.
- "Lemon Demon on Rock Band Network". Archived from the original on July 15, 2011. Retrieved May 12, 2011.
- "Neil Cicierega Tumblr. | NEW LEMON DEMON ALBUM "SPIRIT PHONE" CALLING..." neilblr.com. Retrieved January 21, 2016.
- Rife, Katie (April 29, 2014). ""Mouth Sounds" is the punishing '90s nostalgia mixtape the world deserves". The A.V. Club. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- Katie Rife (July 22, 2014). "The sequel to 'Mouth Sounds' is here, and it's laugh out loud horrifying". The A.V. Club. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- Trendacosta, Katharine. "Messages From Your Old Abandoned Computer, Which Has Achieved AI". io9. Retrieved January 6, 2019.
- Fletcher, Tony (November 14, 2012). "Windows 95 Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks – a lovely parody of system messages". wirefresh. Retrieved January 6, 2019.
- "I Don't Remember Windows 95 Being This Terrifying". Technabob. November 19, 2012. Retrieved January 6, 2019.
- "Icon Architect 1.0". Twitter. Retrieved May 22, 2015.[non-primary source needed]
- "Monster Breeder". tumblr.com. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- Doyle, Ming. "Meet Darcy, the best part of our 2018". Twitter. Retrieved December 31, 2018.[non-primary source needed]
- "Soos and the Real Girl marks my first episode storyboarding for Gravity Falls!". gravi-teamfalls.tumblr.com. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- OCR00799: Monkey Island 2 Monkey Brain Soup for the Soul OC ReMix
- OC Remix profile for Trapezzoid
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Neil Cicierega.|