Smiffys is a wholesale, fancy dress manufacturer specialising in party fashion, leisure and entertainment products.
Founded in 1894 by Robert Henry Smith, Smiffys is part of the R H Smith & Sons (Wig Makers Ltd) group and has become a global organisation with offices and showrooms worldwide. As a fancy dress, Halloween and Carnival manufacturing company in the UK, Smiffys distribute nearly 5,000 products to over 5,000 stockists around the world with over 26 million items shipped every year.
Smiffys originally began as Wigmakers, but soon established itself as a fancy dress manufacturer and supplier.
The company supplies dress up costumes, wigs and accessories under the brands Smiffys and Fever, and currently employs 250 people. Their head office is in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, and the creative services team is based in Landmark Court Leeds, where products are designed and created. However, in October 2016, in the wake of the Brexit Referendum, the company's director, Elliott Peckett, announced that it would open a new headquarters in the Netherlands to safeguard access to its markets and talent pools.
- Smiffys ranked 115th in The Sunday Times International Track 200 2013
- Smiffys won Best Licensed Dress up or Partyware Range at the 2012 Licensing Awards
- Smiffy won 2012, 2014 Gainsborough Business of the Year award
- At the 2011 Licensing Awards, Smiffys won the Best Licensed Dress up or Partyware Range award with their Sesame Street costume.
- Smiffys were nominated as a finalist for the Best Licensed Dress up or Partyware Range at The Licensing Awards 2012.
- In 2010, Smiffys won Gainsborough Business of the Year Award.
- In 2003, 2004 and 2005 Smiffys won the Best Costume Manufacturer at the Party Industry Awards.
- In 2000 and again in 2002 Smiffys won Best Costume Accessories Supplier/Manufacturer at the Party Industry Awards.
- Smiffys won the Best Costume Accessories Supplier/Manufacturer at the Party Times Awards in 1999.
Sponsorship and charityEdit
- Since 2012 Smiffys have been partnered with SOS Children's Villages
- Smiffys were the official Fancy Dress sponsor at "T in The Park" 2012
- In 2012 teamed up with TOWIE to create a ‘Best of British’ range.
- From 2011-2012, Smiffy's were partnered with Make A Wish Foundation
- Smiffys were the main sponsor at the 2012 Gainsborough Best in Schools Awards.
- Smiffys supplied the British 2012 Olympic Rowing Team with outfits.
- "RH Smith & Sons T/A Smiffy's - United Kingdom". Hong Kong Trade Development Council. Hong Kong Trade Development Council.
- Zlata Rodionova, 'Brexit: British company moves HQ to Europe after 122 years of trading in UK, says it ‘can’t afford to wait’ for Article 50', The Independent (20 October 2016), https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-smiffys-business-moves-leaves-uk-europe-hq-exodus-a7371956.html.
- "Toy News Online." Toy News Online. 26.06.12. Retrieved 2012
- "RH Smith & Sons Ltd". The Lingerie Journal.
- "The Licensing Awards" www.thelicensingawards.co.uk Retrieved 13.08.12
- "Toy News Online." Toy News Online 13.07.12. Retrieved 2012
- "Gainsborough Standard." Gainsborough Standard 6.10.10. Retrieved 07.08.12
- "T in The Park". T in The Park. 2012 Archived 2012-07-12 at the Wayback Machine
- Best in Schools Awards. "Gainsborough Standard" Gainsborough Standard 17.07.12
- "Olympic GB Rowing Team" 17.07.12