Sir John Ramsden, 9th Baronet
Sir John Ramsden, Bt
|British Ambassador to Croatia|
|Preceded by||Nicholas Jarrold|
|Succeeded by||Gavin Blunt|
John Charles Josslyn Ramsden
19 August 1950
|Relations||Sir Charles Wickham (grandfather)|
|Parents||Sir Caryl Ramsden, Bt|
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
Ramsden was born on 19 August 1950. He was a son of Anne Wickham and Sir Caryl Oliver Imbert Ramsden, 8th Baronet (1915–1987), was also a diplomat and was appointed Consul-General for Lower Saxony and was appointed CMG and CVO.
His paternal grandparents were Lt.-Col. Josslyn Vere Ramsden (a son of John Charles Francis Ramsden) and Olive Clotilde Bouhier Imbert-Terry (a daughter of Frederic William Imbert-Terry, Seigneur de la Terrière). His maternal grandparents were Lt.-Col. Sir Charles George Wickham and Phyllis Amy Rose.
Early in his career he served in Vienna with the Mutual and Balanced Force Reductions negotiations and then became Head of Chancery and Consul in Hanoi in 1980. After some years in London he was Counsellor in East Berlin (1990) and subsequently Deputy Head of Mission in Berlin (1991-1993); Head of the Information Department at the Foreign Office (1993-1996); Deputy Permanent Representative at the United Nations in Geneva (1996-1999); Head of the Central and North West Europe Department (1999-2003); and finally Ambassador to Croatia (2004-2008).
On 14 December 1985, married Jennifer Jane Bevan, daughter of Rear-Admiral Christopher Martin Bevan and the former Patricia Bedford. Together, they are the parents of:
- Cokayne, George Edward, ed. (1904), Complete Baronetage volume 4 (1665-1707), Exeter: William Pollard and Co, retrieved 9 October 2018
- Foreign Office, The London Gazette 14 January 1958, p. 307
- Mosley, Charles, editor. Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes. Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003.
- "Ramsden, Sir John (Charles Josslyn), (born 19 Aug. 1950)". Who's Who (UK). Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- "Huddesfield's history". Huddersfield Local History Society. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "List of MI6 Officers Worldwide 3". CRYPTOME. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
| British Ambassador to Croatia
|Baronetage of England|