2000 Sint Maarten status referendum
After the 1994 referendum failed to show support for a separate status for Sint Maarten, the island council of Sint Maarten organized a new referendum in June 2000. This referendum came out in favour of a separate status for Sint Maarten as a country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and sparked a new series of referendums across the Netherlands Antilles.
I am in favor of:
- Sint Maarten maintaining its present status;
- Sint Maarten remaining a part of a restructured Netherlands Antilles;
- Sint Maarten becoming a country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands;
- Sint Maarten becoming an independent country.
|Maintaining the present status||332||3.72|
|Remaining a part of a restructured Netherlands Antilles||1,050||11.82|
|Becoming a country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands||6,212||69.98|
|Source: Direct Democracy|
- Cahoon, Benjamin M. "Islands of the Netherlands Antilles: Sint Maarten". World Statesmen. Archived from the original on 2007-02-20. Retrieved 2007-02-02.
- Sint Maarten (Netherlands Antilles), 23 June 2000: Status Direct Democracy (in German)