Pioneer Park, Fremantle
Pioneer Park or Pioneer Reserve is a public park situated between Pakenham, Short, Phillimore and Market Streets in Fremantle, Western Australia. It is across the road from the Fremantle Railway Station.
|Location||Fremantle, Western Australia|
|Coordinates||32°03′11″S 115°44′44″E / 32.053076°S 115.74547°ECoordinates: 32°03′11″S 115°44′44″E / 32.053076°S 115.74547°E|
|Type||State Registered Place|
|Part of||West End, Fremantle (25225)|
The Spare Parts Puppet Theatre is located within the park.
The name was made after the area ceased to be associated with the earlier names of Uglieland Fairground and Uglyland. The fairground had operated between 1922 and 1936 and was opened as the Pioneer Reserve by governor James Mitchell in 1942.
As the park adjoins Short Street on its south side it has also been known as part of the Short Street Precinct and has also been the site of archaeological digs.
In 2021 the park was utilised by homeless people, and their presence created significant reactions from local government and state politicians in the months before the Western Australian 2021 state election.
- ^ "PIONEER RESERVE". The West Australian. Vol. 56, no. 16, 789. Western Australia. 25 April 1940. p. 6. Retrieved 21 December 2016 – via National Library of Australia.
- ^ Entrance to Uglieland, 1920, retrieved 21 December 2016 -see the summary for the photo -
- ^ McIlroy, Jack; National Estate Grants Program (Australia) (1989), Historical archaeological assessment of Parry St car park and the Short St precinct/Pioneer Park Reserve Fremantle, W.A, J. McIlroy], ISBN 978-0-7316-9850-9
- ^ McIlroy, Jack; Bolton, Samantha; Fremantle (W.A.). Council (2008), The excavation of an 1840s cottage complex in Pioneer Park, Fremantle : an addendum to the Phillimore Street Precinct Archaeological Conservation Plan, retrieved 21 December 2016
- ^ "Fremantle Mayor Brad Pettit calls for tent city to be cleared". 2021. Retrieved 27 January 2021.
- ^ "Tent city shut down in Fremantle by state government". Retrieved 27 January 2021.