Shibden Valley (also known as Shibden Dale) is to the east of Halifax, West Yorkshire, England, where the community of Shibden lies. The name of the Shibden valley comes from scepe dene meaning "sheep valley" or "Sheep Vale". The area was heavily involved in wool production but was also a site of much coal production and flagstones from Northowram, Southowram and Hipperholme areas.
Southowram stands on the southern side of the valley, and Northowram stands on the northern side of the valley. Shibden Valley stretches from Halifax through to Queensbury in the south-west of Bradford. A medieval road, the Magna Via, crosses west to east in the lower part of the valley over Beacon Hill. This was an ancient road between Halifax and Wakefield and the road still retains its Hollow way feel with stone setts for some of the route. The A58 also crosses the valley as does the Caldervale line between Bradford Interchange and Halifax, though this is in a 1,105-yard (1,010 m) tunnel under Beacon Hill.
- "288" (Map). Bradford & Huddersfield. 1:25,000. Explorer. Ordnance Survey. 2015. ISBN 9780319244852.
- The story of old Halifax at the Internet Archive
- Crabtree, Diane (11 April 2011). "Change brings a desirable home". The Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "A walk around Beacon Hill and Shibden Dale, Halifax" (PDF). wyorksgeologytrust.org. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Shibden Hall Halifax". www.calderdale.gov.uk. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Red Beck, Source to Calder and Hebble". environment.data.gov.uk. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Landscape Character Supplementary Planning Document Volume 6: Thornton and Queensbury" (PDF). bradford.gov.uk. October 2008. p. 11. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- Historic England. "Magna Via (1005782)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Register of ancient monuments Reference number 1005782 Magna Via Dark Lane Southowram Halifax Calderdale". www.calderdale.gov.uk. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- Brailsford, Martyn, ed. (2016). Railway track diagrams. Book 2, Eastern (4 ed.). Frome: TRACKMaps. 41. ISBN 978-0-9549866-8-1.
- "Shibden Miniature Railway | Britain's Great Little Railways". www.bglr.org. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Shibden Park". www.calderdale.gov.uk. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shibden Valley.|
|This West Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|