Seif el-Din el-Zoubi
|Faction represented in the Knesset|
|1949–1951||Democratic List of Nazareth|
|1951–1959||Democratic List for Israeli Arabs|
|1965–1966||Progress and Development|
|1966–1967||Cooperation and Development|
|1967–1974||Progress and Development|
|1976–1977||Progress and Development|
|1977–1979||United Arab List|
Nazareth, Ottoman Empire
|Died||June 26, 1986(aged 72–73)|
In 1949 he was elected to the Knesset as the leader of the Democratic List of Nazareth. He was re-elected in 1951 on the Democratic List for Israeli Arabs, and 1955, but resigned from the Knesset on 13 February 1956. In 1959, he became mayor of Nazareth, the city's first Muslim mayor in decades, and held the post until 1965, when he returned to the Knesset on the Progress and Development list, which briefly merged into Cooperation and Development before regaining its independence. He was re-elected in 1969, and was appointed Deputy Speaker of the Knesset. in 1971, el-Zoubi became mayor of Nazareth again, holding the post until 1974.
el-Zoubi was re-elected in 1973. In 1974, Progress and Development merged into the Alignment, before leaving it and forming the United Arab List. He was re-elected for a final time on the United Arab List slate in 1977, before resigning his seat on 3 April 1979. He died in 1986.
According to Israeli historian Ori Stendel, el-Zoubi had used his ties with the Israeli establishment to compensate for the decline of his political power within the Zubia clan. Historian Hillel Cohen wrote that el-Zoubi was "upgraded" by Mapai in exchange for relinquishing national demands and legitimizing land confiscations. Yitzhak Laor described his conduct as tantamount to taking political bribery.
- Autobiography: ”Eyewitness” (Arabic: شاهد عيان, 1987)
- "Member of the Knesset - Seif el-Din el-Zoubi". main.knesset.gov.il (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2022-04-13.
- meisai.org.il (1989-06-01). The New East/המזרח החדש: Vol. 32/כרך ל״ב (in Hebrew). אילמ"א.
- "זועבי - ראש עיריית נצרת" [Zoubi - Mayor of Nazareth]. National Library of Israel (in Hebrew). Davar. 1959-12-29. Retrieved 2022-06-09.
- "Ministers of the Minorities". Governments of Israel. Knesset of Israel. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- Stendel, Ori (1996). The Arabs in Israel. Sussex Academic Press. pp. 85. ISBN 1-898723-23-0.
- Cohen, Hillel. "Good Arabs (excerpt)". Text 2006 (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Laor, Yitzhak (2007-02-15). "Under the steamroller". Haaretz. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- Seif el-Din el-Zoubi on the Knesset website