Scott Robertson (rugby union)
Scott Robertson (born 21 August 1974) is a New Zealand rugby union coach, former player and professional breakdancer. He grew up in Tauranga and attended Mount Maunganui College in the Bay of Plenty. His position as a player was flanker and he played for Bay of Plenty, Perpignan, Canterbury, the Crusaders and the All Blacks. He was the head coach of the New Zealand U20 rugby union team and the Canterbury ITM Cup Team. In 2016, New Zealand Rugby and the Crusaders announced his appointment as the new Crusaders' head coach from 2017 to 2019, taking over from Todd Blackadder.
|Birth name||Scott Maurice Robertson|
|Date of birth||21 August 1974|
|Place of birth||Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand|
|Height||1.9 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||109 kg (17 st 2 lb; 240 lb)|
|Rugby union career|
Robertson played domestically for Bay of Plenty before moving to Canterbury and the Crusaders. From 1998 through 2002, he played 23 international matches for the All Blacks, scoring four tries. He later moved to Europe, where he played for a number of clubs, including Ards (Northern Ireland) and Perpignan (France). He eventually moved to Japan where he played for the Ricoh Black Rams, before retiring in 2007.
Robertson became the head coach at Sumner Rugby Club in Christchurch, New Zealand. In 2004 he was active in establishing an under 19 team at Sumner. Coaches Richard Notley and Paul Fremeaux were appointed. The Under 19 side progressed to colts level. Ben Richdale, captain of the U.19/Colts was part of the Sumner Wave side that gained promotion to section 1 Canterbury Metro.
After working as the assistant coach of the Canterbury Rugby Football Union for five years under, respectively, head coaches Rob Penney (2008-2011) and Tabai Matson (2012), Robertson was appointed Canterbury's head coach in 2013, when they won the Final in the Premiership Division of the ITM Cup. Under his guidance, Canterbury won the competition again in 2015.
In June 2016, Robertson was appointed head coach for the Crusaders for the 2017-2019 Super Rugby seasons. During the 2017 season Robertson captured a Super Rugby title with a 25-17 victory over the Lions. On 4 August 2018 he achieved a second straight Super Rugby title with his Crusaders team again defeating the Lions 37-18. Third time again winning the Super Rugby title 2019 against Jaguares 19-3.
- New Zealand Rugby. "Scott Robertson appointed Head Coach of BNZ Crusaders". Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Knowler, Richard. "'I will just continue to be myself' - New Crusaders coach Scott Robertson". Stuff. Fairfax New Zealand Ltd. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Scott Robertson appointed head coach of New Zealand Under 20". AllBlacks.com. NZ Rugby Football Union. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Campbell, Burns. "Baby Blacks miss semifinals for first time in history". NZ Herald. NZ Herald. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Scott Robertson appointed Head Coach of BNZ Crusaders from 2017". Crusaders. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Classy Crusaders champions again with 37-18 win over the Lions". NZ Herald. Retrieved 4 August 2018.