Christopher von Deylen
|Genres||Electropop, ambient, electronic, new-age, trance, chilltrance|
|Years active||1998– present|
|Labels||Universal Music Group, Polydor, Radikal, Deutsche Grammophon|
|Associated acts||Bluechel und von Deylen, Peter Heppner, Angelface, Face The Bass, Futuresmile, German Poets, Nova, Ophelia, Polaris, Silver Shadow, Split, Tank, Trip To Mars, Nadia Ali|
|Members||Christopher von Deylen|
|Past members||Mirko von Schlieffen|
Schiller is a German electronic musician, who rose to fame in 1998 and named after the German poet and dramatist Friedrich Schiller. Originally it was a duo consisting of Christopher von Deylen and Mirko von Schlieffen. Around 2001 or 2002, von Schlieffen left the band, leaving von Deylen the sole member.
Christopher von Deylen does not provide any vocals for Schiller productions himself. Vocals are sung by guest artists including Jette von Roth, Kêta Jo McCue, Cristina Scabbia, of Lacuna Coil, Sheppard Solomon, Samu Haber of Sunrise Avenue, Sarah Brightman, Moya Brennan of Clannad, Adam Young of Owl City, Andrea Corr of The Corrs, Colbie Caillat, Sarah Howells of Welsh emotional folk / indie band Paper Aeroplanes, Ben Becker, Peter Heppner of synthpop band Wolfsheim, MiLù - also known as Mila Mar, Xavier Naidoo, Arlissa, Maya Saban, Kim Sanders formerly of Culture Beat, Ana Torroja of the Spanish pop group Mecano, Tarja Turunen formerly of power metal group Nightwish, Despina Vandi, Alexander Veljanov of Darkwave group Deine Lakaien, Swedish singer September, French voice artist Pierre Maubouché.
Other musicians that have collaborated with Schiller include Anggun, Lang Lang, Klaus Schulze, Mike Oldfield, Helen Boulding, Kate Havnevik, Damae of Fragma, Jaël of Swiss band Lunik, Stephenie Coker and German actress Anna Maria Mühe.
Many of Schiller's albums take over a year to receive a North American release. Until 2008 several of Schiller's tracks were re-recorded with English replacing German lyrics. The television channel Music Force Europe dedicates a weekly programming slot to Schiller's music; the show is called "Schill-Out".
Schiller started as a duo, formed by Christopher von Deylen and Mirko von Schlieffen in 1998. The first single of the band was "Glockenspiel", with great success in Germany.
On 19 August 1999, their first full album, Zeitgeist, was launched, focusing in club and dance music. It was followed by Weltreise, which was released on 30 July 2001. This album featured the single "Dream of You" (with Peter Heppner), which won the ECHO award in 2002 for the Best Dance Single of the Year.
Since Schlieffen wanted to focus mostly in trance music, while Deylen wanted a more eclectic electronica, the duo split after their second album Weltreise.
The third studio album, Leben, was issued on 13 October 2003. It included the popular single "Leben... I Feel You", featuring Peter Heppner. Artists like Peter Heppner (from Wolfsheim), Maya Saban, Sarah Brightman, Alexander Veljanov (from Deine Lakaien), Kim Sanders, and Mila Mar performed vocals on this album.
Schiller's fifth album, Sehnsucht (Desire) was announced in December 2007 and later released on 22 February 2008. Sehnsucht was simultaneously released in two formats and in three editions. Over 100,000 copies of Sehnsucht have been sold since the release of the album. It has received a golden certification. Sehnsucht was internationally released under the name Desire on 26 May 2008.
Schiller also collaborated with Colbie Caillat on "You" which was released in 2008, both of them appear in the accompanying video. Same year Schiller produced another successful single called "Time For Dreams" with the Chinese pianist Lang Lang. The song was used by the German TV channel ZDF during the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing.
Schiller's sixth studio album, Atemlos (Breathless), was released in 12 of March 2010. It debuted on second position on German Charts and was the highest entry for a domestic album for the week. The English edition of the album Atemlos reached until number 3 in the chart of IFPI in Greece. The single "Try" featured Nadia Ali.
On 5 October 2012, the seventh studio album, Sonne (Sun), was released. The next album was Opus, issued on 30 August 2013.On February 26, 2016 Future,the last full-length album to date saw its release.
Maserati has used three of Schiller's songs: "Drifting and Dreaming" with Jette von Roth for their promotional video of the Maserati GranTurismo, "Sommernacht" (German for Summer Night) for their video on the GranTurismo S high performance version, and "Let Me Love You" with Kim Sanders for their Quattroporte high performance sedan.
The original German releases are under various subsidiaries of Universal Music Group, such as Polydor Records Germany. In the U.S., Schiller has been signed to several independent record labels, including Radikal Records for Zeitgeist, Voyage, and Life; 4 West Records for Day and Night; and OK! Good Records for Breathless.
English translation in parentheses.
- 1999 - Zeitgeist (Spirit of the Age)
- 2001 - Weltreise (The World Trip)
- 2003 - Leben (Life)
- 2005 - Tag und Nacht (Day and Night)
- 2008 - Sehnsucht (Desire)
- 2010 - Atemlos (Breathless) (2xCD) (GER: #4)
- 2012 - Sonne (Sun)
- 2013 - Opus
- 2016 - Future
All albums received special edition release alongside standard release.
- 2001 - Zeitgeist
- 2002 - Voyage
- 2004 - Life
- 2005 - Prologue (previously Germany concert sales only)
- 2007 - Day and Night
- 2011 - Breathless (US version includes Desire)
- 2013 - Sun
- 2010 - Lichtblick EP (Ray of Hope)
- 1998 - Das Glockenspiel (The Glockenspiel)
- 1999 - Liebesschmerz (Lover's Pain)
- 1999 - Ruhe (Calm)
- 2000 - Ein Schöner Tag (A Beautiful Day) (with Isgaard)
- 2001 - Dream of You (with Peter Heppner)
- 2001 - Dancing With Loneliness (with Kim Sanders)
- 2003 - Liebe (with Mila Mar) (Love)
- 2004 - Leben... I Feel You (with Peter Heppner)
- 2004 - I've Seen It All (with Maya Saban) (1 Track Promo Release Only)
- 2004 - The Smile (with Sarah Brightman) (1 Track Promo Release Only)
- 2005 - Die Nacht... Du Bist Nicht Allein (with Thomas D.) (The Night... You Are Not Alone)
- 2006 - Der Tag... Du Bist Erwacht (with Jette von Roth) (The Day... You Are Awake)
- 2008 - Sehnsucht (with Xavier Naidoo) (Desire) (1 Track Promo Release Only)
- 2008 - Let Me Love You (with Kim Sanders)
- 2008 - Time For Dreams (with Lang Lang)
- 2008 - You (with Colbie Caillat)
- 2010 - Try (with Nadia Ali)
- 2010 - I Will Follow You (with Hen Ree) (Release: 11 June)
- 2010 - Always You / Innocent Lies (with Anggun) (Release: 12 November)
- 2012 - Sonne (with Unheilig) (Release: 21 September) (Sun)
- 2013 - Lichtermeer (Release: 8 March) (Sleepless)
- 2013 - Swan Lake (Release: 30 August)
- 2016 - Paradise (with Arlissa) (Release: 12 February)
- 2000 - Das Glockenspiel / The Bell
- 2002 - Dream of You (with Peter Heppner)
- 2005 - I Feel You (with Peter Heppner & Kristian Djunited Hansson)
- 2007 - Tired of Being Alone (with Tarja Turunen)
- 2008 - Porque Te Vas (with Ana Torroja)
- 2008 - Forever (with Kim Sanders)
- 2008 - Breathe (with September)
- 2008 - You (with Colbie Caillat)
- 2011 - I feel You (with Kristian Djunited Hansson and Nadia Ali)
- 2000 - Das Glockenspiel #79
- 2001 - Ruhe #126
- 2001 - Das Glockenspiel (DJ Tiesto remix) #17
- 2001 - Weltreise – Die DVD
- 2004 - Leben – Die DVD
- 2004 - Live Erleben (live DVD)
- 2006 - Tagtraum (double DVD + audio CD)
- 2008 - Sehnsucht Live (double DVD)
- 2010 - Lichtblick (double DVD)
- 2013 - Sonne Live (double DVD)
- 2014 - Symphonia
- 2002 - Voyage – The DVD
- 2004 - Life (special editions of the album contained an amended, translated version of the DVD "Leben").
- 2007 - Day and Night Live
Mixes & RemixesEdit
- 1999 - Sunbeam - Outside World [Schiller Remix]
- 1999 - Supanova - Don’t Break My Heart [Schiller Vocal Remix] & [Schiller Instrumental Remix]
- 1999 - Trance Allstars - The First Rebirth [Schiller Club Mix] & [Schiller Edit]
- 2000 - Trance Allstars - Ready To Flow [Schiller Club Mix] & [Schiller Edit]
- 2000 - Tyrell Corp - Running 2.0 [Schiller Remix]
- 2000 - U 96 - Das Boot 2001 [Schiller Remix]
- 2002 - Apoptygma Berzerk - Until The End of the World [Schiller Remix]
- 2002 - ATB - Let U Go [Schiller Remix]
- 2002 - Gregorian feat. Sarah Brightman - Join Me [Schill Out Version by Schiller]
- 2002 - Sinead O'Connor - Troy [Schiller Airplay Edit], [Schill Out Remix], & [Schiller Club Mix]
- 2002 - Trance Allstars - Lost In Love [Schiller Mix] & [Schiller Radio Mix]
- 2003 - Mesh - Friends Like These [Schiller Remix]
- 2003 - Moya Brennan - Show Me [Schiller Edit] & [Schiller X/Tended Remix]
- 2003 - Mila Mar - Sense Of Being [Chill Out Remix by Schiller]
- 2004 - Rammstein - Ohne Dich [Schiller Remix]
- 2005 - Marianne Rosenberg - Er gehört zu mir [Schiller Remix]
- 2008 - Bernstein - Paradies (Schiller Remix)
- 2008 - Klaus Schulze und Lisa Gerrard - Liquid Coincidence 2 [Schiller Remix]
- 2009 - Polarkreis 18 - Allein Allein [Schiller Remix]
- 2011 - Andrea Corr - Pale Blue Eyes [Schiller Remix]
- 2014 - Udo Jürgens - Ich weiß, was ich will (Schiller Remix)
- "Dance-ECHO 2002: Dance-Single des Jahres national (Best Dance Single of the Year (2002))" (in German). ECHO (music award). Archived from the original on 13 October 2007. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Schiller - Atemlos - Presse". Sleepingroom.de. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Όλα για τη συνεργασία Βανδή/Φοίβου/Schiller" (in Greek). MAD TV. Retrieved on 2 April 2008
- "Desire – Schiller – Listen and discover music at". Last.fm. 2013-11-26. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- [dead link]
-  Archived 21 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived 8 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Maserati GranTurismo promo video". YouTube.com. 2007-09-13. Retrieved 2015-05-13.