Savoy Cinema, Colombo
Savoy Cinema, Colombo also known as Savoy 3D Cinema and Savoy 2 is a prominent cinema in Sri Lanka located on Galle Road in Wellawatte, Colombo, just near the old Dutch canal. The building is owned and run by EAP Films and Theatres Private Limited. The theatre generally have premiere releases in four languages including English, Sinhala, Tamil and Hindi languages.
|Savoy Cinema, Colombo|
|Address||Galle Road, Wellawatte|
|Owner||EAP Films and Theatres Private Limited|
The cinema opened in August 1949 with the premiere of The Jolson Story. It was initially owned and operated by C. V. de Silva, who named it after the Savoy Theatre in London. The original building had a small bookshop in the foyer and a number of shops that faced Galle Road, including a clothes shop and the Savoy Emporium, which dealt in medicines and groceries.
- Muller, Carl (2000). Colombo: A Novel. Penguin. ISBN 9789351181583.
- Goonewardena, C. T. (1969). A to Z Atlas of Colombo City. Survey Department. p. 47.
- "EAP Films and Theatres Private Limited". www.eapmovies.com. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Savoy Cinema (Colombo) - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos)". TripAdvisor. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Savoy Cinemas screens Captain Marvel in English and Tamil for the first time in Sri Lanka". www.dailymirror.lk. Retrieved 24 April 2019.